This work bears the designation Opus 40.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Composed especially for the University of Michigan Band Series and completed in December, 1947. Despite the title, Zanoni is an abstract tone-poem without any programmatic allusions whatsoever; any resemblance to the story or character of Lord Bulwer-Lytton's book is purely coincidental. This work is in large ternary form; after a majestic introduction, the "A" section is introduced: a flowing melody in the solo cornet above a ground bass in the tubas. The ground bass is soon transferred to the upper register in chordal structure, and later to the middle portion of the texture. After a minor climax, a short bridge passage leads to the "B" section (Moderately fast), a melody in 2/4 with an accompanying figuration in 3/8 (by means of regular-subdivision-overlapping: 4 groups of 3/8 against 3 groups of 4/8 of 2/4.) The return to the "A" section presents the original ground bass in chordal structure and in augmentation, with great power and majesty.
- Program Note from Lawrence University Wind Ensemble
- Audio CD: Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra (Takeshi Ooi, conductor) - 2017
- Pennsylvania: VI
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Anatolia (1968)
- Celebration Overture (1955)
- Celebration Overture (ed. Madden) (1955/2016)
- Concertino for Marimba and Band (1940/1975)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra (or Band) (1941/1963/1966)
- Fantasy for Trombone and Orchestra (or Band)
- Five Little Dances (trans. Longfield) (1946/2013)
- Kalevala (1971)
- Legend (1942/1945)
- Night in Mexico (tr. Yates) (1966/1997)
- Prelude and Dance (1959)
- Square Dance '76 (1977)
- Suite for Saxophone Quartet
- Zanoni (1949)
- Liberty Song ’76 (1976)
- Creston, P. (1949). Zanoni, op. 40 [score]. Schirmer: New York.
- Girsberger, Russ. Percussion Assignments for Band & Wind Ensemble. Volume I: A-K. Galesburg, MD: Meredith Music Publications, 2004, p. 72. Print.
- Michlin, Adam. "Paul Creston - Zanoni Op. 40". YouTube. Uploaded by Michlin Music, 1 December 2013.