The title is intentionally written in lower case.
Year: 1991 / 1993
Duration: c. 11:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Brass Band
Publisher: Subito Music
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $145.00 | Score Only (print) - $30.00
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
with brightness round about it is one of the earliest post-minimalist works for wind orchestra, and has enjoyed wide popular appeal. Though not a truly programmatic composition, the title was chosen after its completion from a passage from Ezekiel (1:4) to describe the general spirit of the work.
The work was composed in 1991 for a commission from the River City Brass Band, and was revised and re-scored for winds in 1993.
- Program Note by composer
The work opens gently before the introduction of a rhythmic ostinato by the piano. The brass introduces the main theme, a heroic fanfare-like passage that can be heard throughout the rest of the piece.
- Audio CD: Drake University Wind Symphony (Robert Meunier, conductor) - 2011
- South Carolina: VI
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Symphonic Band (Michelle Eboch, conductor) – 18 October
- University of Central Florida (Orlando, FL) Symphonic Band (Jason Cumberledge, conductor) - 3 March 2016
- Central Connecticut State University Wind Ensemble (Lauren Heller, conductor) – 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Audible Images (2014)
- Concerto for Piano and Wind Ensemble (2000)
- Concerto for Woodwind Quintet and Wind Ensemble (2022)
- Danza de los Duendes (1992/1996)
- Dos Danzas Latinas (2002)
- Elfin Thunderbolt (1998)
- Epiphany and Meditation (2020)
- Euphonic Blues (2012/2019)
- Febris Ver (2011)
- Two Psalms (1990)
- Washington's Landing (2007)
- Wind Symphony No. 1 (1996)
- with brightness round about it (1993)
- Galbraith, N. (1993). With brightness round about it : for wind ensemble [score]. Subito Music: [Verona, NJ].
- The Horizon Leans Forward..., compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 328.
- Nancy Galbraith website Accessed 18 October 2017