Subtitle: From Symphonic Suite Hasseneh = The Wedding
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Horn in F III, m.78, beat 2: Should be A-natural.
- Horn in F III-IV, m.174 & 176: Second eighth note should be D-natural.
- Euphonium TC, m.29: Rehearsal number should be 29, not 21.
From beginning to end, this is a fast, exciting, no-holds-barred celebration of life. Frequent key changes, drastic dynamic changes, ensemble passages, and carefully edited articulations add to the excitement and rousing conclusion of this wonderfully joyous piece.
- Program Note from publisher
Jacques Press's Wedding Dance is a spirited horah or traditional Jewish circle dance, from his symphonic suite entitle Hasseneh (The Wedding). Composed in 1955 and arranged for band in 1967 by Herbert Johnston, this lively piece displays an infectious energy and quick tempo. With whirling woodwind lines and memorable melodies, the work exudes a fiery energy and relentless pulse.
- Program Note from Fresno State University Wind Orchestra concert program, 2 October 2014
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: United States Army Band - 2006
- Georgia: VI
- Louisiana: IV
- North Carolina: VI
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Interlochen Center for the Arts (Michigan) Adult Band Camp (Thomas Riccobono, conductor) - 15 August 2021
- University of Louisiana Monroe Wind Ensemble (Derle R. Long, conductor) - 8 March 2021
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Wind Ensemble (Thomas Gamboa, conductor) – 24 October 2019
- San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Wind Orchestra (Jennifer Martin, conductor) – 2 June 2019
- Traverse City (Mich.) West Senior High Wind Ensemble (Chad Mielens, conductor) - 15 May 2019
- Stephen F. Austin State University (Nacogdoches, Tx.) Wind Ensemble (David Campo, conductor) – 9 April 2019
- Gateway Concert Band (Enumclaw, Wash.) (John Prindle, conductor) – 11 March 2019
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Concert Band (Alex Baczewski, conductor) – 28 February 2019
- Texas 6A All-State Symphonic Band (Steven Davis, conductor) - 16 February 2019 (2019 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) Concert Band (Courtney Snyder, conductor) – 11 February 2019
- Tomball (Tx.) High School Memorial Wind Symphony (Andy Easton, conductor) – 7 February 2019
- Lee University (Cleveland, Tenn.) Wind Ensemble (David Holsinger, conductor) – 27 November 2018
- University of South Florida (Tampa) Wind Ensemble (Marc Sosnowchik, conductor) – 15 November 2018
- New Hammer Concert Band (Stockton, Calif.) (Eric Hammer, conductor) - 30 September 2018
- Hawaii Symphonic Band (Honolulu) (Steven Hirohara, conductor)- 4 August 2018
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Gold Campus Band (Cory Near, conductor) – 26 February 2018
- University of Illinois (Champaign) Wind Orchestra (Elizabeth Peterson, conductor) – 3 December 2017
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Symphonic Winds (Dennis Llinás, conductor) – 24 April 2017
- West Virginia University (Morgantown) Wind Symphony (Scott C. Tobias, conductor) – 18 April 2017
- Northshore Concert Band (Evanston, Ill.) (Mallory Thompson, conductor) - 23 April 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Press, J.; Johnston, H.; Fennell, F. (1997). Wedding Dance: From Symphonic Suite Hasseneh = The Wedding [score]. Ludwig Music: Grafton, Ohio.