Oboe I-II (II doubling English Horn)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
F Horn I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV (6-8 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Sweeping melodic lines interact with gorgeous textures and powerful fanfares in this masterful work about achieving success against all odds. Moments of unabashed joy are juxtaposed against lyrical melodies representing sadness, before the entire work culminates in a grandiose recapitulation of the main theme.
- Program Note by publisher
Victory: achievement of mastery or success in a struggle or endeavor against odds or difficulties.
When approached by Lake Braddock High School to compose a piece for them, and to whom it is dedicated, they recommended that I watch the inspirational speech by James Anthony Valvano, head coach of the basketball team of North Carolina State University. The speech was given three years after his retirement at the ESPY Awards in 1993, where he was accepting the inaugural Arthur Ashe Courage and Humanitarian Award.
To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think and you cry, that's a full day.
He then announced the creation of The V Foundation for Cancer Research, an organization dedicated to finding a cure for cancer and told the audience that the foundation's motto would be: “Don’t give up… Don’t ever give up.”
He gave this speech less than two months before his own death from cancer.
It was his three keys words, “laugh,” “think” and “cry”, that stayed with me and helped formulate the structure for Victory.
Victory is comprised of two main themes. The opening melodic statement depicts joyous laughter and happiness incorporating soaring, sweeping melodic lines (laugh). The second theme uses lyrical melodies representing sadness and tears (cry). The last thematic statement is in 7/8 meter and is a rhythmic adaptation of the opening theme, and evokes a feeling of deep thought (think). The piece culminates in a grandiose recapitulation of the main theme.
- Program Note by composer
Commissioned by and dedicated to the Lake Braddock High School Band, Director, Michael C. Luley.
- Program Note from score
- Audio CD: Ad Hoc Wind Orchestra
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Hikarigaoka Girls High School (Okazaka, Japan) Winds (Kentaro Hino, conductor) - 19 December 2019 (2019 Midwest Clinic)
- Lake Braddock Symphonic Band (Rossano Galante, conductor) – 8 June 2017 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Afterlife (2015)
- Aurora Borealis (2016)
- Beyond the Horizon (2009)
- A Childhood Remembered (2013)
- Colorado Rockies (2019)
- Crosslands (1994)
- The Cry of the Last Unicorn (2010)
- The Falls (2018)
- God's Country (2014)
- Hypnotic Memories (2017/2019)
- Journey of the Sequoia
- Journey Through the Stratosphere (2018)
- Journey to the Lion's Castle (2011)
- Land of Healing Waters (2017)
- Landscapes (Brass Quintet) (2013)
- Landscapes (Wind Ensemble) (2013)
- The Last Centaur (2015)
- Lexicon of the Gods (2015)
- Liberty (2017)
- Mt Everest (2010)
- Nostalgia (2017)
- Raise of the Son (1998)
- Redemption (2011)
- Red Rock Mountain (2016)
- The Redwoods (2006)
- Resplendent Glory (2005)
- Rise (2019)
- Rise of the Silver City (2017)
- The River Seneca (2017)
- San Andreas Landscapes (2016)
- The Sword of Titan (2018)
- They Solemnly Served (2019)
- Transcendent Journey (2010)
- Vertical Acceleration (2018)
- Victory (2019)
- Whispers from Beyond (2017)
- The Wilderness (2019)
- The Winged Stallion (2012)
- The Wishing Well (2018)
- Galante, R. (2017). Victory: For Wind Band [score]. Hafabra Music: Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Perusal score