Troika (arr Walters)
Subtitle: From 'Lieutenant Kijé Suite'
Year: 1933 / 1956
Duration: c. 3:10
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Orchestra
Publisher: Rubank, Inc.
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
C Flute (C Piccolo)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Condensed score. m.63, beat 3, top system: slur beat 3 and 3&
- Cornet I. meas. 36, beat 3: E should read D-flat
The music for Lieutenant Kijé was originally written in 1933 for a motion picture sound track, and then adapted by the composer into a symphonic suite.
The troika is an ancient Russian vehicle pictured as a sleigh drawn by three horses harnessed abreast one another. It has become somewhat of a tradition for Russian composers to portray musically such a sleigh ride; its gaiety and animation, the sounds of the sleigh bells, the horses' hoofs, and the rush of the wind. Prokofiev's Troika, the fourth movement of Lieutenant Kijé Suite, is undoubtedly the most lucid of the numerous works thus far composed in this colorful idiom.
- Program Note from score
None discovered thus far.
- Virginia: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Contra Costa Wind Symphony (Walnut Creek, Calif.) (Brad Hogarth, conductor) – 2 December 2018
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Randy Schwalbe, conductor) – 1 November 2015
- Caldedonian Winds (Perth, Australia) – 5 December 2014
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Athletic Festival March (arr. Goldman) (1936/1980)
- Concerto No. 3 in C for Piano (tr. Hunsberger) (1921/)
- Dance of the Knights (trans. Jones) (1935/2019)
- Finale to "Symphony No 1" (tr. Johnson) (1917/2016)
- Gavotte (arr. Gordon)
- Lieutenant Kije Symphonic Suite (arr. Schyns)
- March from "The Love of Three Oranges" (arr. Cray) (1921/1943)
- Marche from the Opera "Love for Three Oranges" (arr. Erickson) (1921/1992)
- Marche from "The Love of Three Oranges," Opus 33 (arr Johnson) (arr. Johnson) (1921/1947)
- March, Opus 69 (arr. Gingery) (1937/1985)
- March, Opus 99 (arr. Meredith) (1943-44/2017)
- March, Opus 99 (arr. Mindeman) (1943-44)
- March, Opus 99 (arr. Yoder; ed. Berz) (1943-44)
- Masquerade Variations On A Theme Of Prokofiev (arr. Gryc)
- Music for Children (arr. Ahronheim)
- Ode to the End of the War (1945/1969/1979)
- Peter and the Wolf (arr. Daniels) (1936)
- Peter and the Wolf (arr. Curnow) (1936/1986)
- Piano Concerto No. 3 (arr. Hunsberger) (1921/)
- Suite from the Ballet "Romeo & Juliet" (arr. de Meij) (1935/1990)
- Suite from "Romeo and Juliet" (arr. Kreines) (1935/199-?)
- Symphony V: Scherzo (arr. Moore) (1947/2014)
- Visions fugitives (orch. Missal) (1917/2017)
- Prokofieff, S.; Walters, H. (1956).Troika: From "Lieutenant Kije Suite" Op. 60 [score]. Rubank: [s.l.]