Subtitle: For Woodwind Quartet
1. In an Air-Balloon 1:25
2. In a Helicopter 1:10
3. In a Bath-Chair 1:20
4. Car-Chase – 1:10
B-flat Soprano Clarinet
None discovered thus far.
The Kent-born Richard Rodney Bennett (1936-2012) is one of the most widely renowned British composers of the 20th Century. His prolific and eclectic and compositional output spanned not only chamber music and symphonies but also solo instrumental works, symphonic wind band compositions and a huge array of film music, for which he was three times Academy Award-nominated. He was also a prodigiously talented jazz pianist and was a regular fixture, alongside singer Claire Martin, at such reputed London jazz venues as The Pheasantry and Ronnie Scott’s.
These diverse musical influences, paired with the technical abilities honed by studies in Paris with his inspirational composition teacher, Pierre Boulez, and united by his innate musical wit, can all be clearly perceived in the almost ‘Poulencian’ writing of his two Travel Notes pieces. The first of these, Bennett composed for string quartet in 1975. The series continued a year later with Travel Notes 2 which exhibited Bennett’s lifelong interest in composing for wind instruments. His comprehensive technical understanding of the diverse timbres and abilities of each of the instruments can clearly be heard throughout, with soaring melodies and complex jazz-inspired passage work abounding throughout the work. No further description of the individual movements is necessary -- he titles of each speak for themselves. This is supremely catchy, ‘light’ music for the listener, which nevertheless, in the careful handling of the various instrumental voices and material, clearly demonstrates the supreme talent and skill of its composer.
- Program Note by Fiona Joyce Myall for liner notes of Métier CD FOUR
- Audio CD: London myriad
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Rhode Island (Kingston) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Roger Cichy, conductor) - 24 October 2021
- Soochow University (Suzhou, China) Wind Faculty – 14 January 2015
- Galliard Ensemble (London) – 24 June 2003
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Ten Brass Players (1988)
- Concerto for Trumpet and Wind Orchestra (1993)
- Fanfare on a 16th Century Tune (1999)
- The Four Seasons (1991)
- Jazz Calendar (1964)
- Morning Music (1986)
- Reflections on a Sixteenth Century Tune (1999)
- Travel Notes 2 (1980)
- Bennett, R. (1980). Travel Notes 2 [score]. Novello: Borough Green, Kent, Eng.