Three Brass Cats
Chris Hazell (ed. Howarth and Jones)
1. Black Sam – 2:40
2. Borage – 3:05
3. Mr. Jums – 2:25
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F
None discovered thus far.
This is what Chris Hazell, the composer, had to say about Three Brass Cats:
Some years ago I had four cats in the house -- all were strays and decided that I was a soft touch when it came to free board and lodgings, so instead of moving on, they all decided to stay. Sadly they have all now gone to the great cattery in the sky. However, at the time they were around I was asked to write some pieces for a brass group (The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble). What should I write about? Well, I've always liked writing about the people and places around me (they appear in a lot of my music) so I thought ... I know, my cats. These days I don't have any cats as I travel around a lot with my work, but it's nice to think that they're still with me in the music.
-Program Note by composer
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
- Indiana: 090 - LARGE BRASS ENSEMBLES
- Wisconsin: Event 4858 Brass Ensemble Class A
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- New England Conservatory (Boston, Mass.) Brass Ensemble - 9 May 2021
- University of Kansas (Lawrence) Concert Brass (Tom Davoren, conductor) - 2 May 2021
- Hope College (Holland, Mich.) Wind Ensemble (Gabe Southard, conductor) - 5 March 2021
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Symphonic Band (Eric Allen, conductor) - 3 December 2020
- University of Kansas (Lawrence) Concert Brass & Percussion (Tom Davoren, conductor) - 12 October 2020
- Northshore Concert Band (Chicago) (Mallory Thompson, conductor) – 31 January 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Hazell, C. (1990). Three Brass Cats: For Brass Ensemble [score]. Chester Music: London.