Takanobu Saito (8 December 1924, Tokyo, Japan - 11 April 2004) was a Japanese composer and conductor.
He studied composition at the Tokyo School of Music (now Tokyo University of the Arts) with Kiyoshi Nobutoki, and piano and conducting with Noboru Kaneko. After graduation, he worked as a composer mainly for radio and film music. He composed music for several Yasujiro Ozu films, including Tokyo Story.
From 1972 to 1976, he served as the director of the Air Central Band of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force, and then for 11 years as the director of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Band.
Works for Winds
- Blue Impulse (1970/2018)
- March "Glistening Snow-covered Peak" (1967/2018)
- Marching Escargot (1978/2017)
- March "Over the Galaxy" (1980/2018)
- Only One Earth (1972)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Takanobu Saito." Accessed 12 January 2023
- Takanobu Saito (in Japanese), Wikipedia Accessed 12 January 2023
- "Takanobu Saito". Nexuss Music Publishing. Accessed 12 January 2023