Symphony for Winds (Ellerby)
This work bear the designation Symphony No. 2.
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
The work is cast in three movement,s exploiting the wide range of colours and dynamics available within the contemporary wind ensemble. The employment of much percussion and additional use of piano, harp and celesta provides even further riches of timbre.
Tribute: Two highly contrasting moods, one rhythmic and aggressive, the other calm and relaxed; yet both in the same tempo, compete with each other to dominate the opening movement. The first subject is always in search of a theme, realized at the conclusion, whereas the second always has one, but extends and develops i ton each reappearance.
Chorale: A series of chorales in a simple, direct idiom provides an aura of calm between the outer, more aggressive movements. Instrumental colour, soft dynamics and much use of tuned percussion and celesta are paramount.
Display: The finale is a highly charged, dynamic scherzo contrasting tuttis with more subtle combinations of solo instruments. Based on the principles of scales and arpeggios, though adapted, melody is always endeavouring to be part of the chase. This is rather like a miniature “concerto for orchestra”.
Symphony for Winds was commissioned by Kent Youth Wind Orchestra (Music Director: Alan Hutt) and Bromley Youth Concert Band (Music Director: Peter Mawson) with funds provided by South East Arts, KYWO, BYCB and BASBWE.
- Program Note by World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE)
- Symphony for Winds has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Cane River Murals (2012)
- Clarinet Concerto (2001)
- Club Europe (2002)
- The Cries of London (2005)
- Divertimento for Wind Dectet (1999/2001)
- Dona Nobis Pacem (1995)
- Five Manx Romances (2017)
- From Kitty Hawk to the Stars
- Give Me the Splendid Silent Sun (2022)
- Menorcan Dances (2019)
- Natalis (1993)
- New World Dances (1999)
- Ovation (2001)
- Paris Sketches (1994)
- Paris Sketches (ed. Reynish) (1994/2004)
- Prelude for Hampstead Heath (1990)
- Requiescant Aberfan (2009)
- Roman Trilogy (2014)
- A Silent Movie Suite (2013)
- A Soliliquy for Solferino (2012)
- Symphony for Winds (1997)
- Tales from Andersen (2006)
- Tuba Concerto (1988)
- Venetian Spells (1984)
- Via Crucis (2006)
- Ellerby, M. (1998). Symphony for Winds [score]. Studio Music: London.
- World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE) Accessed 7 August 2016