Symphony I (Ticheli)
Frank Ticheli (trans. Green)
1. Of Youth - 6:23
2. Of Wisdom - 9:42
3. Profanation - 5:27
4. Prayer - 9:41
Oboe I-II (doubling English Horn)
Bb Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Euphonium (Bass Clef & Treble Clef)
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Temple Blocks
None discovered thus far.
Symphony No. 1 was commissioned by the University of Miami School of Music Abraham Frost Series. It was begun in the fall of 2000 in Pasadena, California, and completed the following summer at the MacDowell Colony in Peterborough, New Hampshire. The work received its premiere performance at the closing concert of Festival Miami on October 25, 2001, by the University of Miami Symphony Orchestra, Thomas Sleeper, conductor.
The work comprises four movements. The first movement is an expression of hope, with vivid aural images in the bells, trumpet fanfares, bright harmonies, and clear textures. In the second movement, the bright fanfares give way to greater lyricism, and childlike optimism yields to introspection.
The third movement, in a dark D minor, represents a crisis of faith, in which the main theme wedges upward and back again, as though it is attempting to dodge some menacing force. The finale is the setting of an original poem, sung by a tenor. Darkness yields to themes of transcendence as the singer discovers an inner light.
I want to hear the sounds of hope ---
of big church bells and distant horns,
Sounds that wash away the wars
and arouse the human heart.
A sure harmony gliding over a sea of stillness.
I want to play the sounds of peace --
of sighing winds and rustling leaves,
Sounds that silence troubled thoughts
and calm the spirit’s raging storms.
A song of serenity from high atop an ancient hill.
But my harp is drowned by the voices of children --
Naked, hungry, crying out.
Their dreams, windswept,
My faith, a time-worn rock,
My house of wisdom a spider’s web.
I only know that I am longing...
And then ...I catch a glimpse --
An ancient tree ... a soaring bird,
Some eternal euphony
that dances upon the light.
And for one fleeting moment, I know ...
I am the sound of hope,
the instrument of peace,
the song within the Song.
- Program Note by Frank Ticheli
- Audio CD: Massachusetts Wind Orchestra (Malcolm W. Rowell, Jr., conductor) (Third movement only)
- Louisiana: V
- Texas: V. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Yale University (New Haven, Conn.) Concert Band (Thomas Duffy, conductor) – 12 April 2019
- Arkansas Tech University (Russellville) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Daniel A. Belongia, conductor; Christopher Harris, baritone) – 22 March 2018 (CBDNA 2018 Southwestern Conference, Houston, Texas)
- Arkansas Tech University (Russellville) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Daniel A. Belongia, conductor) – 12 November 2017
- University of Southern California Thornton Wind Ensemble (H. Robert Reynolds, conductor; Jonathan Mack, tenor) - 30 September 2012
- University of Miami Frost Wind Ensemble (Gary Green, conductor; Jason Kraack, tenor) - 26 March 2011
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Abracadabra (2005)
- Acadiana (2016)
- Amazing Grace (1994)
- Amen! (2009)
- An American Elegy (2000)
- Angels in the Architecture (2009)
- Blue Shades (1996)
- Cajun Folk Songs, Part One (1990)
- Cajun Folk Songs, Part Two (1997)
- Concertino for Trombone (1987/2007)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Wind Ensemble (Ticheli) (2014)
- Concerto for Clarinet and Wind Ensemble (2010)
- Dancing on Water (2015)
- December Snow (2015)
- Earth Song for Band (2012)
- First Light (2013)
- Fortress (1988)
- Gaian Visions (1990)
- Joy (2005)
- Joy Revisited (2005)
- Korean Folksongs from Jeju Island (2013)
- Loch Lomond
- Midnight in Nairobi (2019)
- Music for Winds and Percussion (withdrawn)
- Nitro (2006)
- Pacific Fanfare
- Portrait of a Clown
- Postcard (1991)
- Rest (2011)
- San Antonio Dances (2010)
- Sanctuary (2006)
- Serenade for Kristin (2018)
- Shaker Gift Song, A (2004)
- Shenandoah (1999)
- Silver Lining (2017)
- Simple Gifts: Four Shaker Songs (2002)
- Songs of Love and Life (2012)
- Sun Dance (1997)
- Symphony No. 1 (tr. Green)
- Symphony No. 2 (2004)
- The Tyger (2008)
- Vesuvius (1997)
- Wild Nights!
None discovered thus far.