Sure on This Shining Night
This work bears the designation Opus 13, number 3.
Year: 1938 / 2004
Duration: c. 3:35
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Piano and Voice
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $50.00 | Score Only (print) - $7.50
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
This work was originally an art song for voice and piano, with words by James Agee.
- Program Note from score
Barber’s Sure on This Shining Night was originally written for low voice and piano and utilized a poem by James Agee. It has been adapted for a number of various vocal and string ensembles. This wind adaptation was released in 2004.
The Knoxville-born writer James Agee (1909-1955) was a poet, journalist, novelist, and screenwriter. He also was the author of Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, an eloquent and anguished testimony about the essential human dignity of impoverished sharecroppers during the 1930s. The book is regarded as one of the most significant literary documents associated with the Great Depression.
- Program Note by David Holsinger
None discovered thus far.
- Kansas: IV
- Maryland: IV
- Tennessee: II
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Red Concert Band (Shelby Swanson-Williams, conductor) – 30 April 2019
- Brevard (N.C.) College Wind Ensemble (Jamie Hafner, conductor) – 25 April 2019
- The Ohio State University (Columbus) Collegiate Winds (Brent Levine, conductor) – 26 February 2019
- Lee University (Cleveland, Tenn.) Wind Ensemble (David Holsinger, conductor) – 9 October 2018
- Callanwode Concert Band (Atlanta, Ga.) (Robert Meehan, conductor) - 25 March 2018
- Harding University (Searcy, Ark.) Wind Ensemble (Mike Chance, conductor) – 16 November 2017
- Orange County Wind Symphony (Anaheim, Calif.) (Anthony Mazzaferro, conductor) – 19 November 2017
- Bemidji (Minn.) State University Symphonic Band (Katrina Stewart, conductor) – 16 November 2016
- Western University (London, Ont.) Symphonic Band (Gary McCumber, conductor) – 15 February 2013
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Adagio (arr. Linden) (1936/2006)
- Adagio from "Adagio for Strings" (arr. Custer) (1936)
- Adagio for Young Concert Band (arr. Jennings) (1936/1991)
- Andante and Tranquilo from Symphony I (arr. Saucedo)
- Commando March (1943)
- Commando March (ed. Collinsworth) (1943/2009)
- Commando March (arr. Curnow) (1943/1990)
- Fantasy on a Theme by Samuel Barber (arr. Saucedo) (1931/2005)
- First Essay (arr. Joseph Levey) (1937/1972)
- Funeral March (1943)
- Intermezzo (from “Vanessa") (arr. Beeler) (1962)
- Knoxville, Summer of 1915 (tr. Singleton) (1949/2004)
- Medea’s Dance of Vengeance, op 23a (arr. Hudson)
- Mutations from Bach (1968)
- Overture to “The School for Scandal” (arr. Hudson) (1941/1971
- Second Essay (arr. Schneider) (2011)
- Summer Music, op 31 (1956)
- Sure on This Shining Night (arr. Saucedo) (1938/2004)
- Symphony in One Movement (tr. Duker) (1936/1970)
- Barber, S.; Saucedo, R. (2004). Sure on this Shining Night [score]. G. Shirmer: [New York].