1. Timestorm: A Dance of the Wu Li Master - 3:21
2. Before the Storm - 4:31
3. Into the Storm! - 3:18
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
“Wu Li” has many meanings... one is “patterns of Organic Energy”, another is “emptiness”. One of our greatest and most interesting storms is the one that dances in our imaginations as we instantly hurl ourselves through past, present and future thought. Here we were, there we are... somewhere is where we could be, and so runs the storm of time.
Before the STORM ... Before the storm there is quiet, mystery, hopeful anticipation and uncertainty. This movement is the “eye” of the STORMWORKS trilogy. What is it like before the storm... before life?
Into the STORM! In front of us, always raging, either obviously swirling or mysteriously quiet is a storm. That storm is within us. It is outside of us. This piece is about the heroic charging forward of the individual, the on-purpose clenching of fists and the determination to move in to that storm, facing life, good and not-so-good with head-on clarity. This is a theme for US, not for some movie hero, but for the real and true-to-life individuals who embrace each day ... storming.
Stormworks was premiered by the United States Air Force Band of the East on 26 August 1990. I would like to dedicate this work to the members of this fine ensemble and to Captain Robert Pouliot, whose love and energy bring life to it. It is also dedicated to those represented by the Band of the East, the defenders of our country, past, present and future, the greatest Storm-Facers of all.
- Program Note by composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Illinois State University (Normal) Symphonic Winds (Gavin Smith, conductor) – 28 April 2017
- Kreisverbandsjugendblasorchester Ravensburg (Germany) - 2013
- Austin Peay State University Symphonic Band (John Schnettler, conductor) - 19 April 2012
- San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Wind Orchestra (William V. Johnson, conductor) - 2 June 2002
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Aurora (1998)
- Ben Hur (as arranger) (1959/2008)
- Concerto for Violin and Band (2000)
- David (1995)
- The Defenders of Truefire! (1996)
- Escape from Plato's Cave (1993)
- Finest Hour! (2000)
- Forbidden Fortress (1997)
- Godspeed! (1997)
- Honor, Courage...Commitment (1996/1998)
- In a Cause Called "Glorious" (2001)
- In the Beginning (1992)
- Millennium (1997)
- O Come Holy Night! (1993)
- Once More Unto the Breach (2004)
- The Shoemaker (1999/2006)
- The Speech of Angels (1998)
- Three Musical Haikus for Band (1984)
- Triumph at CHO-SIN! (1996)
- Under the Cover of Night ... Into the Light of Day! (1993)
- The Universe Below
- A Walk in Jurassic Park. See: In the Beginning
- Without Warning (1996)
- WU (2008)
- Melillo, S. (1990). Stormworks [score]. S. Melillo: [Smithfield, Va.]
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 422-23.