E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Sleigh Bells
- Suspended Cymbal
Players singing (optional)
None discovered thus far.
This lovely arrangement of Silent Night, faithful to the recording by Mannheim Steamroller, is refreshing, and satisfying and even includes some tastefully written vocal parts for several sections of the band.
- Program Note by publisher
Together with Joseph Mohr, a Catholic priest who wrote the original German lyrics, Franz Gruber composed the music for the Christmas carol Silent Night. On Christmas Eve of 1818, Mohr, an assistant pastor at St Nicholas, showed Gruber a six-stanza poem he had written in 1816. He asked Gruber to set the poem to music. The church organ had broken down so Gruber produced a melody with guitar arrangement for the poem. The two men sang Stille Nacht for the first time at Christmas Mass in St Nicholas Church while Mohr played guitar and the choir repeated the last two lines of each verse.
In later years, Gruber composed additional arrangements of the carol for organ and for organ with orchestra, as well as scores of other carols and masses, many of which are still in print and sung today in Austrian churches.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
- Tennessee: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Virginia Tech (Blacksburg) Symphony Band (Chad Reep, conductor) – 20 November 2019
- Mercyhurst University (Erie, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (Scott Meier, conductor) – 18 November 2018
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Wind Ensemble (Joseph Higgins, conductor) – 7 December 2017
- Mercyhurst University (Erie, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (Scott Meier, conductor) – 19 November 2017
- Quad City Wind Ensemble (Davenport, Iowa) (Brian Hughes, conductor) – December 2015
Works for Winds by this Composer
- All is Calm (arr. Smith) (2002)
- Fantasia on Silent Night (arr. Bond) (1818/2011)
- Season of Peace (arr. Milford) (2014)
- Silent Night (arr. O'Bryant) (1818)
- Silent Night (arr. Clark) (1818/2001)
- Silent Night (arr. Dawson) (1818/1992)
- Silent Night (arr. Marlatt) (1818/2014)
- Silent Night (arr. Swearingen) (1818/2008)
- Stille Nacht (arr. Davis and Longfield) (1818/1987?)
- Winter's Night, A (arr. Kirby) (1818/2011)
- Franz Xaver Gruber, Wikipedia
- Gruber, F.; Davis, C.; Longfield, R. [1987?]. Stille Nacht : Recorded by Mannheim Steamroller [score]. Dots and Lines Ink: Milwaukee, Wisc.