Steve Danyew (b. 1983, Danbury, Conn.) is an American composer and teacher.
Steve received a B.M. cum laude, Pi Kappa Lambda, from the Frost School of Music at the University of Miami and holds an M.M. in Composition and Certificate in Arts Leadership from the Eastman School of Music. Additionally, Danyew has served as a Composer Fellow at the Yale Summer Music School with Martin Bresnick, and as a Composer Fellow at the Composers Conference in Wellesley, Mass. with Mario Davidovsky. Danyew enjoys teaching and has held composer residencies, presented lectures and coached ensembles at schools throughout the United States. He serves as an instructor in the Arts Leadership Program at the Eastman School of Music, where he teaches a course titled “Excellence, Innovation, and Uniqueness: Developing Your Creative Career in Music.”
Steve Danyew’s music has been hailed as “startlingly beautiful” and “undeniably well crafted and communicative” by the Miami Herald, and has been praised as possessing “sensitivity, skill and tremendous sophistication” by the Kansas City Independent.
Danyew is the recipient of numerous national and international awards, including prizes from organizations including BMI, ASCAP, CBDNA, Ithaca College, Delaware Valley Chorale, Keene State College, Octarium, Society of Composers, Austin Peay State University, Shoreline Chorale, Hot Springs Concert Band, and more.
A saxophonist and passionate chamber musician, Danyew frequently performs his own chamber music compositions and transcriptions for saxophone. After a performance of his own work, the South Florida Sun Sentinel called him a “saxophone virtuoso par excellence, making the instrument sing as well as shout.”
Danyew also serves as managing editor of the music website Polyphonic.org, where he curates content and manages the Polyphonic On Campus section – a career resource section for students and young professionals.
Works for Winds
- Adagietto (2014)
- Alcott Songs (2015)
- Distant Moons
- Entrata (2019)
- Flash Back
- Goodnight, Goodnight (2010)
- Green Diamond (2018)
- An Hour of Hallowed Peace (2016/2019)
- Into the Silent Land (2018)
- Lamentation for Euphonium and Wind Ensemble (2019)
- Lauda (2009)
- Magnolia Star (2012)
- Montis Dei. See: Lauda
- Mountainscape (2012)
- This World Alive (2013)
- Vermont State Fair (2015)
- Winter Song (2018)
- Belongia, Daniel A. "Magnolia Star." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 731-738. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Spurlin, Corey. "Goodnight, Goodnight." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 192-199. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Steve Danyew website
- Wyman, Richard E. "Vermont State Fair." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 641-649. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.