Stephen Melillo (b. 1957) is an American composer and educator.
Melillo attended the University of Connecticut at Storrs in 1976, the Manhattan School of Music in New York in 1979, and holds a Bachelor of Music Education degree from the Boston Conservatory of Music in 1980 and a master's in music and conducting from Columbia University in 1982. He studied conducting with Jens Nygaard and Atilio Poto, a student of Arturo Toscanini.
In addition to film work with New York and Los Angeles based studio orchestras, he has conducted more than 112 live concert premieres.
With 17 years in the public schools, more than 30 years as an international guest conductor, and more than 35 years as a practitioner of the Chinese martial art, Melillo's ability to communicate musically comes from an extensive knowledge base. From beginning instrumental students to musicians employed by the Rotterdam and Vienna Philharmonic Orchestras, he has worked with a vast array of multinational students aged 4-87. Such diverse experience includes teaching Braille-reading music students at Perkins School for the Blind in Massachusetts to teaching close-quarter defense techniques to an 11-man detachment of Green Berets stationed in Mansfield, Connecticut during the late 1970s.
Works for Winds
- Aurora (1998)
- Ben Hur (as arranger) (1959/2008)
- Concerto for Violin and Band (2000)
- David (1995)
- The Defenders of Truefire! (1996)
- Escape from Plato's Cave (1993)
- Finest Hour! (2000)
- Forbidden Fortress (1997)
- Godspeed! (1997)
- Honor, Courage...Commitment (1996/1998)
- In a Cause Called "Glorious" (2001)
- In the Beginning (1992)
- Millennium (1997)
- O Come Holy Night! (1993)
- Once More Unto the Breach (2004)
- The Shoemaker (1999/2006)
- The Speech of Angels (1998)
- Three Musical Haikus for Band (1984)
- Triumph at CHO-SIN! (1996)
- Under the Cover of Night ... Into the Light of Day! (1993)
- The Universe Below
- A Walk in Jurassic Park. See: In the Beginning
- Without Warning (1996)
- WU (2008)