Star Spangled Spectacular (arr Cacavas)
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
E-flat Horn I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Wood block
- Flutes. m. 137: add a bar line at the end of this measure
- Clarinet II. m. 98: D-C-B should read E-D-C (like 1st clarinet)
- Clarinet II. m. 164, beat 3: remove half rest
- Alto Saxophone I. m. 34, beat 2: eighth notes should read quarter notes
- Alto Saxophone I. m. 157: add rehearsal figure here
- Alto Saxophone I. m. 201, beat 2: E should read D
- Alto Saxophone I. m. 211: add "a tempo"
- Alto Saxophone I. m. 213: delete "a tempo" >
- Cornet I. m. 7: delete half rest
- Cornet III. m. 79: F sharp should read F natural
- Baritone T.C. m. 51: move rehearsal "52" to the following measure
George M. Cohan had a deep-seated patriotism, as evidenced in such songs as Over There, Yankee Doodle Boy, and You're a Grand Old Flag. His greatest song, Over There, was written in 1917 and was the most stirring song to come out of World War I. It was immensely popular and has become a classic among popular songs. For his patriotic songs, he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Arranger John Cacavas (b. 1930) was chief arranger of the U.S. Army Band and twice won the Freedom Foundation’s George Washington medal for his contributions to American music. He has taken a number of Cohan’s greatest songs and put them into this “Spectacular” arrangement.
- Program Note from Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music
None discovered thus far.
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) Summer Band (Barry Houser, conductor) - 27 June 2019
- Virginia Grand Military Band (Alexandria) (Loras John Schissel, conductor) – 25 May 2019
- Callanwolde Concert Band (Decatur, Ga.) (Glenn Moore, conductor) – 4 July 2018
- Hope College (Holland, Mich.) Wind Ensemble (Gabe Southard, conductor) – 14 March 2018
- Virginia Grand Military Band (Alexandria) (Loras John Schissel, conductor) – 4 February 2017
- Gold Coast Wind Ensemble (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) (Clinton H. Dawley, conductor) - 12 June 2016
- Ventura County (Calif.) Concert Band (Julie Budd, conductor) – 8 November 2015
- University City (St. Louis, Mo.) Summer Band (Tom Poshak, conductor) – Summer 2013
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Cohan Salute (arr. Moffit) (1972)
- Cohan Salute, A (arr. Ades) (1983)
- Forty-Five Minutes from Broadway
- George M. Cohan Patriotic Fantasy (arr. Yoder) (1959)
- Give My Regards to Broadway
- Little Nellie Kelly (arr. Brockton) (1922)
- Over There March (arr. Lamb) (1917/2017)
- Star Spangled Spectacular (arr. Cacavas) (1962)
- A Touch of Cohan (arr. Applebaum) (2002)
- Yankee Doodle Boy
- You're a Grand Old Flag (arr. Cofield) (1906/1962)
- You're a Grand Old Flag (arr. Nowak) (1906/1990)
- You're a Grand Old Flag (arr. Walters) (1906/1963)
- Cohan, G.; Cacavas, G. . Star Spangled Spectacular [score]. B. Marks Music: New York.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "George M. Cohan." Accessed 9 November 2015.