Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb SopranoClarinet I-II-III
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Splash Cymbal
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Commissioned by the Calgary Stampede Band, with support by the Rozsa Foundation.
Stampede is a western, at once evoking the romanticized "wild west", while the much wilder, unpredictable reality of that era repeatedly interjects its presence.
The music is a high-spirited celebration of the Calgary Stampede's cultural amalgamation (from the cowboys and the agriculture and livestock industries they represent, to the First Nations, to the Young Canadians, and of course, the Stampede Band), and the unified spirit of all these groups in promoting their western values and heritage.
It can loosely be thought of as Copland's Billy the Kid meets John Adams' Short Ride in a Fast Machine. Written for the Calgary Stampede Showband, this work is meant for the large, symphonic band ensemble. Yeehaw!
- Program Note by Steven Bryant
- Audio CD: North Texas Wind Symphony (Eugene Corporon, conductor).
- Audio CD: North Texas Symphonic Band (Dennis Fisher, conductor).
Upcoming and recent performances of all works by Steven Bryant are listed here.
(To submit performances of works by Steven Bryant, Jim Bonney, Jonathan Newman, or Eric Whitacre, please use this page.)
Works for Winds by this Composer
All Wind Works
- Alchemy in Silent Spaces (2001)
- all stars are love (2014)
- Anthem (Bryant) (2011)
- The Automatic Earth (2019)
- Axis Mundi
- Bloom (2004)
- Chester Leaps In. See: Parody Suite)
- Coil (2014)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone (2014)
- Concerto for Cello and Orchestral Winds
- Concerto for Piano and Orchestral Winds & Percussion (2012)
- Concerto for Trombone 2016
- Concerto for Wind Ensemble (2010)
- Dusk (2004)
- Dusk (Four-part Adaptable Band) (2004/2020)
- Dusk (Five-Part Adaptable Band) (2004/2020)
- Ecstatic Fanfare (2012)
- Ecstatic Waters (2008)
- First Light
- Impercynations (see Parody Suite)
- Idyll (2013)
- In This Broad Earth (2015)
- In This Broad Earth (for brass ensemble) (2015/2017)
- Interruption Overture (1998)
- Irrational Joy (2017)
- The Machine Awakes (2012)
- The Marbled Midnight Mile (1999)
- MetaMarch. See: Parody Suite)
- A Million Suns at Midnight
- Miniature Suite (2017)
- Nothing Gold Can Stay (2016)
- Parody Suite
- Pendulum (2018)
- Radiant Joy (2006)
- Rise (2003)
- Solace (2012)
- Stampede (2003)
- Suite Dreams. See: Parody Suite)
- Whirlwind (2013)
- Wings That Work (2003)