Songs Without Words
Subtitle: Five Mood Pieces for Large Wind Ensemble
1. Manic – 1:50
2. Reflective – 4:15
3. Giddy – 2:20
4. Stunned - 3:05
5. Confident – 4:45
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Commissioned by the College Band Directors' Association, Songs Without Words includes five short movements, each a musical exploration of a specific mood (1. Manic, 2. Reflective, 3. Giddy, 4. Stunned , 5. Confident), as expressed by winds, brass, and percussion. The finale quotes themes from the previous movements, then, says Welcher, "ends in a bouyant cloud of optimism."
- Program Note from publisher
Dan Welcher writes,
Since the very nature of a piece entitled Songs Without Words would be destroyed by too many words about the piece, it seems best to let the movement titles speak for themselves. Mendelssohn's set of celebrated piano pieces in this genre establishes a precedent for short, mood-oriented works with simple titles attached... I began this composition imagining five moods that could be portrayed in wind, brass, and percussion colors – then expanded on the idea of linking the separate motives together in the fifth "song." The effect would be one of looking at separate elements of a personality, then looking at the whole person.
- Program Note from Teaching Music Through Performance in Band
- Audio CD: North Texas Wind Symphony (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) - 2002
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- CBDNA National Small College Intercollegiate Band (Denton, Tx.) (Allen McMurray, conductor , conductor) – 24 February 2001 (CBDNA 2001 National Conference, Denton, Tx.) *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Arches (1985)
- Castle Creek (1989/2009)
- Downshifting (2014)
- For the Mystic Harmony (2017)
- Glacier (2003)
- Hauntings (1986)
- Laboring Songs. See: Symphony No. 3, "Shaker Life"
- Minstrels of the Kells (2002)
- Perpetual Song (2008)
- Songs Without Words (2001/2007)
- Spumante (1998/1999)
- Symphony No. 3, "Shaker Life" (1997)
- Symphony No. 4, "American Visionary" (2005)
- Symphony No. 6, "Three Places in the East" (2017)
- Upriver (2011)
- The Yellowstone Fires (1998)
- Zion (1994)
- Miles, Richard B., and Larry Blocher. 2002. Teaching Music Through Performance in Band. Volume 4. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 555-565.
- Welcher, D. (2007). Songs Without Words : Five Mood Pieces for Large Wind Ensemble [score]. Elkan-Vogel: King of Prussia, Penn.