Medley arranged by Clifton Taylor
Subtitle: A Musical Excursion for Jazz Trombone and Concert Band
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
String or Electric Bass
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Pedal Bass Drum (optional)
- Snare Drum
- Splash Cymbal, small
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Slidin' Down the Mississippi is a musical excursion for jazz trombone and concert band. The piece features songs associated with cities along the Mississippi River and includes W C Handy's St. Louis Blues (1914) and Memphis Blues (1912) and Way Down Yonder in New Orleans by Henry Creamer and Jay Turner Layton (1922). The arrangement contains many open sections for the soloist to improvise, as well as notated solos.
- Program Note from Mississippi State University Wind Ensemble concert program, 4 March 2020
Three early twentieth-century tunes provide the geographical and musical framework for this fun musical romp: St. Louis Blues and Memphis Blues by W C Handy, and Way Down Yonder in New Orleans by Henry Creamer and Jay Layton. Take your band on a musical riverboat cruise down the muddy Mississippi, and don't forget to bring along the best trombone player you can find.
- Program Note from publisher
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Mississippi State University (Starkville) Wind Ensemble (J. Steven Moore, conductor; Clifton Taylor, trombone) - 4 March 2020 (86th Annual ABA National Convention)
- McClellan College (Waco, Tx.) Wind Ensemble (Jon Conrad, conductor) - 20 February 2020
- Mississippi Wind Symphony (Jackson) (Craig Young, conductor) - 3 July 2018
- Bowdoin College (Brunswick, Me.) Concert Band (John P. Morneau, conductor) – 19 November 2017
- Grace College (Winona Lake, Ind.) Community Wind Ensemble (Eric Criss, conductor) – 17 November 2017
- North Coast Symphonic Band (Astoria, Ore.) (Dave Becker, conductor; Bob Joiner, trombone) – 25 October 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concertpiece (2018)
- Five Mississippi Rush (2019)
- The Lark in the Clear Air (2011)
- O vos omnes (as transcriber) (2012)
- Slidin' Down the Mississippi (as arranger) (2013)
- Perusal score
- Taylor, C.; Handy, W.; Creamer, H.; Layton, J. (2013). Slidin' Down the Mississippi : A Musical Excursion for Jazz Trombone and Concert Band [score]. Grand Mesa Music Publishers: Grand Junction, Colo.