Flute I-II (I doubling Piccolo)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Conga Drum
- Gong (Tam-tam)
- Mark Tree
- Ride Cymbal
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbals (small and medium)
- Timpani (3)
- Tom-Toms (3)
- Triangle (small)
- Oboe, m.68: Second slur connects to C in next measure.
- Bassoon, m.47: Slurs missing on 4th-6th, 10th-12th 16th notes.
- B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III, m.56: Slur first three 16th notes.
- B-flat Soprano Clarinet III, m.15: F natural
- B-flat Soprano Clarinet III, m.9: B should be B-flat.
- E-flat Alto Saxophone, m.38: Slur all notes in first two beats.
- E-flat Alto Saxophone, m.39: Slur 16ths and staccato on last eighth.
- E-flat Baritone Saxophone, m.93: Slur all notes in first beat but staccato on beginning of beat 2.
- Saxophones (all), m.68: Second slur connects to C in next measure.
- Saxophones (all), m.79-86: Should be staccato on beat 3.
- B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV, m.5: Time should be one measure of 2/4; m.6 returns to 3 / 4.
- B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV, m.86: Staccatos missing in trumpets on 8th notes on beats 3 and 4
- Horn in F I-II-III-IV, m.94: Trill B-flat.
- All instruments with figure, m.11-12: End of beat two should be tied to beginning of beat three.
Alternate B-flat Bass Clarinet and Double bass parts available on Dana Wilson website
Shortcut Home is a rousing, rather elaborate fanfare that features each section of the ensemble. Drawing upon various jazz styles, the music proclaims and cascades, always driving towards the "home" of the final, C Major chord.
Shortcut Home was commissioned by the Hillsborough (New Jersey) High School Band, Mindy Scheierman, director.
- Program Note by composer
Three minutes in duration, the work features 17 meter changes in its 94 measures.
- Program Note from Austin Symphonic Band concert program, 2 April 2018
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Ithaca College Wind Ensemble (Stephen Peterson, conductor)
- Kansas: IV
- Louisiana: III
- Michigan: Senior High AA
- North Carolina: VI
- Texas: IV. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Florida (Gainesville) Tuesday/Thursday Morning Concert Band (Archie G. Birknerr, conductor) - 28 February 2022
- State University of New York, Fredonia, All College Band (Daryl Warren, conductor) – 4 March 2020
- Grand Street Community Band (Brooklyn, N.Y.) (David Blumenthal, conductor) – 14 December 2019
- Capitol Symphonic Winds (Hartford, Conn.) (Dan D’Addio, conductor) – 11 December 2019
- University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire Symphony Band (Phillip A. Ostrander, conductor) – 22 November 2019
- University of North Texas (Denton) University Band (Brett Penshorn, conductor) – 6 November 2019
- Texas A&M University (Lubbock) Symphonic Winds (Travis Almany, conductor) – 13 October 2019
- Bowling Green (Ohio) State University Concert Band (Bruce Moss, conductor) – 3 October 2019
- Colorado Mesa University (Grand Junction) Wind Symphony (Calvin Hofer, conductor) – 10 May 2019
- California State University, Los Angeles Wind Ensemble (Emily Moss, conductor) – 8 May 2019
- University of Oklahoma (Norman) Boomer Band (Brian Britt, conductor) – 18 April 2019
- Texas Christian University (Fort Worth) Symphonic Band (Brian Youngblood, conductor) – 18 April 2019
- University of Colorado Boulder Concert Band (Matthew Dockendorf, conductor) – 25 February 2019
- Moline (Ill.) High School Symphonic Band (Zach Morton, conductor) – 23 February 2019
- Southwest Washington (Camas) Wind Symphony (Patrick Murphy, conductor) – 21 October 2018
- Kansas State University (Manhattan) Wind Symphony (Alex Wimmer, conductor) - 17 October 2018
- Wisconsin Lutheran College (Milwaukee) Concert Band (Terry S. Treuden, conductor) – 5 October 2018
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, Wind Ensemble (John R. Locke, conductor) – 27 September 2018
- University of California, Los Angeles, (UCLA) Wind Ensemble (Tyler Farrell, conductor) – 30 May 2018
- Houghton (N.Y.) College Wind Ensemble (Timothy McGarvey) - 14 April 2018
- University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana) Campus Band (Jason Gardner, conductor) - 7 March 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
A complete list of Dana Wilson's compositions may be found here:
- Avatar, The (2005)
- Awakening... (2011)
- The Banquet (2017)
- Black Nightshade (2004)
- Calling, Ever Calling (1990)
- Clarion Call (1988)
- Colorado Peaks (2009)
- Concerto for Double Bass and Wind Ensemble (2010)
- Concerto for Drum Set and Wind Ensemble (2021)
- Concerto for Horn and Wind Ensemble (1997)
- Concerto for Jazz Piano and Wind Ensemble (2019)
- Concerto for Trombone (2015)
- Concerto for Tuba (Wilson) (2012)
- Conjurer, The (2015)
- Dance of the New World (1992)
- Day Dreams (2006)
- Evolution (1999)
- Fanfare for a New Center (2011)
- Fanfare for Karel (2017)
- Footsteps (2010)
- Front Burner (2020)
- How Very Close (2012)
- Io Rising
- Kah! Out of Darkness (1999)
- Last Ride to Solutré (1998)
- Leader Lieder (1993)
- Liquid Ebony (2006)
- Liquid Gold (2005)
- May the Road Rise Up to Meet You (2013/2019)
- Odysseus and the Sirens (2008)
- Of my dream before me... (2021)
- Old Number One (2017)
- On Fire! (2017)
- Piece of Mind (1987)
- Primal Worlds (2000)
- Quintessence (2019)
- Sang! (1993)
- Searching for Lost Dreams (2013)
- Shakata: Singing the World into Existence (1989)
- Shortcut Home (2003)
- Speak to Me (2010)
- ...the harder they fall (2004)
- the most sacred of times (2022)
- Time Cries, Hoping Otherwise (1991)
- To Set the Darkness Echoing (2005)
- Uprising (1995)
- Vortex (1999)
- When I Am Gone Away (2006)
- Winds on the Steppes (1994)
- Dana Wilson website.
- Wilson, D. (2003). Shortcut Home: For Band or Wind Ensemble [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: New York.