Severn Suite, The
Duration: c. 18:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Sam Fox
Cost: Score and Parts - Out of print.
1. Worcester Castle - 2:40
2. Tournament - 4:22
3. The Cathedral - 4:15
4. In the Commandery - 6:07
5. Coda - 2:11
(Needed, please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
This fine work, originally written for brass band, has been splendidly transcribed. In five movements: Worcester Castle, a broad noble prelude with two contrasting themes (marked and epic; gentle and lyric); Tournament, fast lithe and brilliant. A short transition in slower tempo leads into The Cathedral, a slow, solemn rich-textured fugue; In the Commandery, a gentle, amiable minuet with a faster lilting trio; and Coda, opening with a slow introduction leading to a varied restatement of the opening movement, brought to a nobly dignified yet stirring conclusion.
- Program Note from Music for Concert Band
- Audio CD: Senzoku Gakuen Symphonic Wind Orchestra (Alfred Reed, conductor) - 2004
- Florida: IV
- Louisiana: V
- Michigan: Senior High A
- Virginia: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by this Composer
This composer primarily wrote orchestral music. Transcriptions of his works include:
- As Torrents in Summer (tr. Davis) (1896/1968)
- Crown of India (tr. Winterbottom) (1912/1913)
- Enigma Variations (tr. Slocum) (1899/)
- Enigma Variations (arr. Thompson)
- March of the Mogul Emperors (arr. Longfield)
- Nimrod (arr. Reed) (1899/1965)
- Nimrod (Flex Instrumentation) (arr. Bocook) (1899/2011)
- Pomp and Circumstance (Flex instrumentation) (arr. Stanton) (1907/2011)
- Pomp and Circumstance Military March No 1 (tr. Retford; ed. Reed) (1907/2000)
- Pomp and Circumstance March No 2 (arr. Retford; ed. Reed) (1907/2000)
- Pomp and Circumstance March No 3 (arr. Retford; ed. Reed) (1907/2000)
- Pomp and Circumstance March No 4 (arr. Retford; ed. Reed) (1907/2000)
- Pomp and Circumstance Marches (arr. Caron)
- The Severn Suite (tr. Reed) (1973)
- Sursum Corda (arr. Houseknecht) (1894/1967)
- Triumphal March (arr. Pollen)
- Variations on an Original Theme: "Enigma" (tr. Patterson) (1899/)
- Elgar, E.; Reed, A. (1973). The Severn Suite [score]. K. Prowse: London.
- Krienes, J.; Hansbrough, R. (2014). Music for Concert Band: A Selective Annotated Guide to Band Literature. Meredith Music Publications: Delray Beach, Fla.; pp. 66.