Serenade for Winds (Pann)
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III-IV
Bb Bass Clarinet
Bb Soprano Saxophone
Eb Alto Saxophone I-II
Bb Tenor Saxophone
Eb Baritone Saxophone
Bb Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Snare Drum
- Bass Drum (shared between II & III)
- Cymbal (2 suspended)
- Large Tam-tam
- Triangles (2)
- Fine Sandblocks (2 sets)
- Sleigh Bells
- Wind Chimes
None discovered thus far.
Serenade (2008) was written just after the composer's Hold This Boy and Listen and shares similar qualities as alluded to in the notes which accompany the score. It is is dedicated to Allan McMurray and was commissioned by Jerry Junkin (University of Texas), Timothy Rhea (Texas A&M University), Eric Rombach-Kendall (University of New Mexico), and Kevin Sedatole (Michigan State University).
- Program Note from score
Pann writes the following regarding Serenade for Winds:
My Serenade for Winds is an exploration in the kind of melodic writing usually equated with Schumann or Brahms. Nearly every gesture in this work was placed with the hope that the performers who play them would attain their highest echelon of musical expression. I had very recently written a soft, subdued work called Hold This Boy and Listen (2008) for winds. That work represented a departure from the fast and brilliantly technical works I had written for bands in the past ... but I wanted to be under the spell of the molto espressivo for more than one wind piece. Hence this work is a grand expression of harmony and melody (quite equally so) for wind symphony.
- Program Note from the Northwestern University Wind Ensemble concert program, 6 February 2016
- Audio CD: University of Colorado Wind Symphony (Allan McMurray, conductor) - Klavier Label
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Symphony Band (David Thornton, conductor) – 22 October 2019
- Temple University (Philadelphia, Penn.) Wind Symphony (Matthew Brunner, conductor)
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Mallory Thompson, conductor) – 5 February 2016
Works for Winds by this Composer
- American Child
- At Her Ladyship's Request (2017)
- Concerto Logic
- Double Concerto (2019)
- Four Factories (2006)
- High Songs, The (2015)
- Hold This Boy and Listen (2008)
- My Brother's Brain (2011)
- Richard and Renée (2009)
- Serenade for Winds (2009)
- Slalom (2002/2008)
- Spanish Silhouette, A (2010)
- Three Embraces, The (2013)
- The Wranger (2006/2016)
- Carter Pann website
- Pann, C. (2009). Serenade for Winds [score]. Theodore Presser: [King of Prussia, Penn.].
- Stotter, Douglas. "Serenade for Winds." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 781-791. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.