1. Lebhaft (Lively) - 4:30
2. Intermezzo. Sehr langsam, frei (Very slowly, free)
3. Variationen. Mäßig schnell (Moderately quick)
4. Intermezzo. Sehr langsam (Very slowly)
5. Fuge. Schnell (Fugue: Fast)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet
None discovered thus far.
Hindemith began composing the work while visiting Sicily in November, 1948. It was premiered in Milan on December 30, 1948. The work was performed in New York on December 7, 1952, where it was highly received.
A melodic basis for the piece is Alter Berner Marsch, an old song from Bern, Switzerland. The first movement is in sonata form. The two intermezzos are exact retrogrades of each other. The theme for the variation movement begins in the trumpet and then is passed to the flute. The meter begins in 3/4 then evolves into 9/8. After returning to 3/4 the opening theme is heard in the bassoon. The fugue begins with clarinet and trumpet playing the opening of the Alter Berner Marsch. The trumpet is notated in cut-time while the rest of the ensemble is in 12/8. Hindemith uses the form in a similar fashion to the last movement of his Symphony in Bb.
- Program Note from University of Redlands Wind Ensemble concert, 26 March 2013
- New York Critic's Circle Award for Best Chamber Work, 1952.
- Audio CD: Ensemble Villa Musica
- Audio CD: Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie (Christian Tetzlaff, conductor)
- Audio CD: Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- United States Air Force Band Chamber Ensembles Septet – 18 December 2019 (2019 Midwest Clinic)
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Chamber Winds (Kevin Michael Holzman, conductor) – 26 September 2019
- Washington State University Wind Ensemble [CBDNA Conference, Reno] (Matthew Aubin, conductor) - 15 March 2012
- Performance 20/20, The Hartt School - 1 May 2011
- Jacaranda - 22 May 2010
- University of Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (Roger Zahab, conductor) 17 February 2010
- University of Maryland Wind Orchestra (Donald Hunsberger, conductor) 2 April 2009
- Camerata Winds - 11 February 2008
- Villa Musica - 18 November 2007
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Concert Music, op. 50 (tr. Duker) (1930/1978)
- Der Schwanendreher (1935)
- Geschwindmarsch by Beethoven (1946)
- Geschwindmarsch (arr. Mas Quiles) (1946/1975)
- Kleine Kammermusik (1922/1949)
- Konzertmusik fur Blasorchester, Opus 41 (1926)
- Konzertmusik für Klavier, Blechbläser und Harfen, Opus 49
- Mathis der Maler (tr. Duker) (1934/1973)
- Morgenmusik (1932)
- Ragtime (tr. De Cinque) (1921/2016)
- Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes of Carl Maria von Weber (tr. Wilson) (1943/1972)
- March from "Symphonic Metamorphosis" (tr. Wilson) (1943/1972)
- Symphony in B-flat (1951)
- Hindemith, P. (1994). Septet [full score]. Eulenburg, London.