Selections from "1776" for Concert Band
Duration: c. 7:45
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Orchestra
Publisher: G. Schirmer
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above. This work may be borrowed from the Chatfield Music Lending Library.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Field Drum
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
1776 is a musical with music and lyrics by Sherman Edwards and a book by Peter Stone. The story is based on the events surrounding the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It dramatizes the efforts of John Adams to persuade his colleagues to vote for American independence and to sign the document.
It premiered on Broadway in 1969, earning warm reviews, and ran for 1,217 performances. The production was nominated for five Tony Awards and won three, including the Tony Award for Best Musical. In 1972 it was made into a film adaptation. It was revived on Broadway in 1997.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
This medley includes The Lees of Old Virginia; He Plays the Violin; Momma, Look Sharp; and Is Anybody There?
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- New Orleans (La.) Concert Band (Charles Taylor, conductor) – 14 April 2019
- Golden Gate Park Band (San Francisco, Calif.) (Robert Calonico, conductor) - 1 July 2018
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks: Highlights (with Robert Sherman; arr. Tatgenhorst) (1971)
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: Selections
- A Disney Super Time (arr. Christensen)
- The Happiest Millionaire (arr. Yoder)
- The Happiest Millionaire (arr. Brittain)
- Highlights from "Mary Poppins" (arr. O'Loughlin) (1963/2011)
- Highlights from Walt Disney's "Mary Poppins" (with Robert Sherman; arr. Reed) (1963/1965)
- It's a Small World (arr. Cofield) (1975)
- The Jungle Book: Colonel Hathi’s March (arr. Osterling) (1992)
- Let’s Go Fly a Kite (arr. Nowak) (1989)
- Mary Poppins (with Robert Sherman; arr. Kostal; ed. Reed) (1963/1965/2006)
- The Old Home Guard (arr. Edmondson) (1971)
- The One and Only, Genuine Original Family Band (arr. McLin) (1968)
- Selections from "Mary Poppins" (arr. Ricketts) (1963/2005)
- Selections from Walt Disney's "Mary Poppins" (with Robert Sherman; arr. Kostal; ed. Reed) (1963/1964)
- A Step in the Right Direction (arr. Edmondson) (1971)
- Walt Disney's "Mary Poppins" (arr. Kostal; ed. Reed) (1964)
- 1776, Wikipedia Accessed 18 July 2018
- Edwards, S.; Erickson, F. (1969). Selections from 1776 for Concert Band [score]. G. Schirmer: New York.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Sherman Edwards." Accessed 18 July 2018