Florent Schmitt (ed. Felix Hauswirth)
This work bears the designation Opus 48, No. 1. It bears the subtitle Divertissement.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet (optional)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
One of the more intriguing pieces is Sélamlik, Op. 48, No. 1, inspired by the Turkish ceremonial guard units assigned to the Sultan in Constantinople, and that Schmitt witnessed on parade when visiting the Ottoman Empire in the early 1900s.
Schmitt did a masterful job in capturing the guard’s combination of “pomp and savagery” in his composition, which was completed in 1904 and first performed in 1909 by the Garde Republicaine Band in Paris.
Unlike Dionysiaques, which takes the listener through a variety of highly contrasting moods, Sélamlik conjures up an atmosphere of raucous celebration nearly continuously throughout its entire five-minute duration. You can sample a live performance of this music on YouTube, performed by the Philharmonic Winds conducted by Seow Yibin. The Corelia recording of this music has also been uploaded.
- Program Note by Philip Nones
Selamli [si-lahm-lik], subtitled Turkish Dance for Harmonie, is an original composition for wind band written in 1906, seven years before Schmitt’s more notable wind band work, Dionysiaques. It was premiered in June 1909 by La Musique de la Garde Républicaine under the direction of Guillaume Balay. The work itself was inspired by a trip Schmitt took to Turkey in 1905, and the title refers to the portion of the Turkish home reserved for the company of men.
- Program Note from GIA Publications
- Audio: Reference recording. Baden-Württemberg Youth Wind Orchestra and The Philharmonic Winds in Concert (Seow Yibin, conductor) - 5 September 2012
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Western University (London, Ont., Can.) Wind Ensemble (Colleen Richardson, conductor) - 10 February 2023
- Banda Sinfónica Municipal de Valencia (Spain) (Felix Hauswirth, conductor) – 13 July 2019 - WASBE Conference (Buñol, Spain)
- Pentamusa Wind Orchestra (Sicily) (Salvatore Crimaldi, conductor) – 19 March 2019
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Dionysiaques (1913)
- Dionysiaques (ed. Hauswirth) (1913/2012)
- Dionysiaques (arr. Duker) (1913/1975)
- Hymne funèbre (1899/1933)
- Le Camp de Pompée (1921)
- Lied et Scherzo (1910/1988)
- Marche du 163ème regiment d'infanterie (orch. Dondeyne) (1916/)
- Quatuor de Flûtes (1949)
- Quatuor pour saxophones (1948)
- Sélamlik (1906)
- Sélamlik (ed. Hauswirth) (1906)
- Schmitt, F.; Hauswirth, F. (2013). Sélamlik: op. 48 : divertissement [score]. Robert Martin: Charnay-lès-Mâcon, France.
- Perusal score
- Nones, P. (2013) "Beyond Dionysiaques: Florent Schmitt’s Other Works for Concert Band." Florent Schmitt Accessed 8 February 2016 [score]. Robert Martin: Charnay-les-Macon, France.
- Selamlik, GIA Publications Accessed 8 February 2016