Second Movement from "Symphony No 1"
Howard Hanson (arr. Maddy)
Year: 1922 / 1938
Duration: c. 4:55
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Carl Fischer LLC
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail needed)
None discovered thus far.
Written in 1922, Nordic Symphony is Hanson’s first symphony. Hanson was the first American to win the Prix de Rome fellowship, and was in Italy for three years, during which time he composed this symphony. A fine example of late-Romantic tonal musical language, “Nordic” has often been described as an American gloss on the early symphonies of Sibelius. Certainly Sibelius, along with Ottorino Respighi, Bach, and Palestrina, influenced his musical style. He was never ashamed of his Nordic roots, and was the first American composer of the twentieth century to attain worldwide prominence.
Hanson conducted the Nordic Symphony in New York in 1924, and was invited to head the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester that same year. Hanson remained at Eastman the rest of his life, creating a doctorate in musical composition and building the finest music school in the country.
- Program Note from Cypress Symphonic Band concert program, 25 March 2017
None discovered thus far.
- Florida: V
- Tennessee: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Cypress Symphonic Band (Houston, Tex.) (Clarence Weeks, conductor) –25 March 2017
- Henry J. Kaiser High School Symphonic Band (Michael Bataluna, conductor) – 16 April 2016
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Centennial March
- Chorale and Alleluia (1954)
- Concerto for Piano (arr. Bencriscutto)
- Dies Natalis (1973)
- First Movement from "Symphony No 2, 'Romantic' '' (arr Allen) (1930/2018)
- Laude (1976)
- Second Movement from "Nordic Symphony No. 1" (trans. Maddy) (1922/1938)
- Second Movement from "Symphony No 1" (arr. Maddy) (1922/1938)
- Serenade for Flute
- Suite from the Opera "Mary Mount" (tr. Boyd)
- Symphony No. 2 "Romantic", Second Movement (arr. Goldberg) (1930/1960)
- Third Movement from "Symphony No. 2" (arr. McBeth) (1930/1983)
- Triumphal Ode (ed. Ripley) (1918/2008)
- Variations on an Ancient Hymn (1977)
- Hanson, H.; J. Maddy, (1938). Second Movement Nordic Symphony No. 1. Arranged for (Symphonic) Band by J.E. Maddy. [Score.]. C.C. Birchard & Co.: Boston.