B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F
None discovered thus far.
Scherzo is relatively short piece composed in 1963: a single movement for a brass quintet. Since it first appeared it has become one of the standard pieces in the repertory for brass quintet. As a mark of how the world and communications have changed since the Rite of Spring was premiered 99 years ago -- and largely ignored until the ballet was restaged in the 1920s -- the Scherzo became an immediate success and is offered in a half-dozen amateur renditions on YouTube. It is in classical ABA (rondo) form, with a theme, variation, and restatement of the theme.
- Program Note from University of Oregon Wind Symphony concert program, 12 March 2020
One of the all-time classic brass quintets of the 20th century. This work is upbeat and rhythmic. It has a style evocative of old Wild West film scores, while at the same time never straying into the silly or cliche. A cornerstone of the quintet repertoire suitable for any formal concert or outdoor performance.
- Program Note from publisher
- Audio CD: Filharmonins Brassensemble Stockholm - 2014
- Indiana: 080 Brass Quintets
- Missouri: Brass Quintet Grade A
- Ohio: 573 – Brass Quintet A
- Texas: Brass Quintet Class I
- Wisconsin: Event 4855 Brass Quintet Grade A
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Oregon (Eugene) Wind Symphony (Jason Silveira, conductor) – 12 March 2020
- Stonebriar Community Church (Frisco, Tx.) Student Brass Quintet - 2018
Works for Winds by this Composer
- ABA Symphonic March (1986)
- Canticle for Band (1965)
- A Christmas Greeting
- Commemorative Fanfare (1979)
- Dover Crossing
- Fanfare and Steeplechase
- Fanfare for the Ozarks
- Glad Tidings
- Ha' Penny March
- In Memoriam Oklahoma City
- Infinite Horizons
- Journey of Three Rivers
- Keystone Celebration (1989)
- Kitty Hawk. See: ABA Symphonic March
- Noel Francais
- Open Ye Gates, Swing Wide Ye Portals
- Overture "Silver Jubilee"
- Scherzo (1963)
- Songs from the Open Range
- Yuletide Offering
- Cheetham, J. (1963). Scherzo : 1st & 2nd B♭ trumpets, horn, trombone & tuba [score]. Western International Music: Los Angeles, Calif.