Samuel A. Livingston
Samuel A. (Skip) Livingston (b. 1942, Chicago, Ill.) is an American clarinetist and composer.
Mr. Livingston grew up in the Pittsburgh area where he began playing clarinet at the age of 9. During 1966 and 1967, he was a member of the U.S. 4th Armored Division Band; except for that, he has never been a full-time professional musician. Since 1974 he has lived in central New Jersey, where he plays the clarinet in a community band, traditional jazz groups, and chamber music groups.
As a composer, he is entirely self-taught. His recent (21st century) compositions include works for concert band, a quintet for clarinet and strings, and chamber music for wind instruments. His Three American Scenes for concert band was the winner of the 2017 Rensselaer County School Music Association Composition Contest.
Works for Winds
- Balkan Dance (2008/2020)
- Call to the Mountains (2011/2018)
- Celebrating the Fourth (2007/2016)
- Gentle Winds (2013/2018)
- Silvertube Variations (2015/2019)
- Three American Scenes (2013/2020)
- Winter Sunrise (2021/2022)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Livingston, Samuel A." Accessed 18 June 2022
- "Samuel Livingston." Imagine Music. Web. Accessed 18 June 2022