Ryan George (b. 1978) is an American composer. Ryan graduated from the University of Kentucky with a degree in music education. While a student he sat principal horn for four semesters in the wind ensemble, was a drum major for the Wildcat Marching Band, and also performed with various other ensembles including the UK orchestra.
George completed his first concert commission in 2007, and since then his works have received performances at the American Bandmasters Association Convention, the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic in Chicago, the Music For All (Bands of America) Concert Band Festival, the MidEurope Festival in Schladming Austria, Carnegie Hall, the National CBDNA Conference, the CBDNA/NBA Southern Division Conference, and multiple state music educator conferences. Ryan's music is also regularly programmed by All-State, Region, Inter-Collegiate, and Honor ensembles. His first work for advanced wind ensemble, Firefly, was recorded by the University of North Texas Wind Symphony under the direction of Eugene M. Corporon and is featured in the Teaching Music Through Performance in Band series, volume 8.
As a specialist in music design for marching ensembles, Mr. George's work has been performed by some of the nation's elite ensembles at state, region, and national venues. His roster of clients hail from 14 states and include perennial Bands of America (Music for All) regional champions, regional finalist, and Grand National finalist. Within the realm of drum corps, Ryan serves as the brass arranger/composer for the Boston Crusaders from Boston Mass., and the Academy Drum & Bugle Corps from Tempe, Ariz. He was also a visual staff member for the Phantom Regiment and Carolina Crown. As a marching member Ryan performed with the 1998 DCI World Champion Cadets of Bergen County and the 1999 DCI World Champion Concord Blue Devils.
Ryan's professional affiliations include ASCAP, the American Composer's Forum, and TMEA, and he resides in Austin, Texas.
Works for Winds
- Autobahn (2008)
- Café 512 (2010)
- A Familiar Sentiment (2017)
- Firefly (2008)
- Halle's Light (2014)
- Jinx (2017)
- Portrait in Jade (2016)
- Redwood (2010)
- Riff Raff (2012)
- To All Those Who Enter
- The Wild Goose (2014)
- Herb, Thomas. "Café 512." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 308-314. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Mast, Andrew. "Riff Raff." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 742-747. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Phillips, Chester B. "Halle's Light." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 557-565. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Phillips, Chester B. "Redwood." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 605-615. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Ryan George website
- Schwartz, Robert M. "Autobahn." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 208-213. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.
- Wollam, Seth F. "An Gé Fhiáin (The Wild Goose)." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 911-920. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.