Russlan and Ludmilla Overture (arr. Howell)
Mikhail Glinka (arr. Matthew Howell)
Subtitle: For Chamber Winds
Year: 1842 / 2020
Duration: c. 6:00
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Orchestra
Publisher: Matthew Howell Music
Cost: Score and Parts - (digital) $150.00
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III-IV
B-flat Bass Clarinet I-II
Horn in F I-II
The spelling of the transliteration of the title of Glinka's opera is uncertain. The Encyclopedia Britannica, International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP) and Wikipedia prefer Ruslan and Lyudmila. However, some arrangers and publishers have used Russlan and Ludmila.
Ruslan and Lyudmila is an opera in five acts (eight tableaux) composed by Mikhail Glinka between 1837 and 1842. The opera is based on the 1820 poem of the same name by Alexander Pushkin, the father of Russian literature. Pushkin's death in the famous duel prevented him from writing the libretto himself as planned.
Today, the best-known music from the opera is its overture, which Glinka is said to have composed in 24 hours. He became the first composer in the classical tradition to incorporate the whole-tone scale.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
Unlike Glinka's very successful A Life for the Tsar, the opera Russian and Ludmilla (1837—42) was not a resounding success. The libretto, based on his friend Alexander Pushkin’s fairy tale, had been poorly adapted by various authors until its “wretched completion," as Glinka himself described it. Furthermore, the opera's premiere had been marred by a poor cast. Even with this inauspicious start, the quality of the musical score was undeniable. This became immediately evident to several prominent composers and conductors, including Franz Liszt and Hector Berlioz, who conducted later performances. The overture from the opera has especially endured as one of his most popular and has become a staple of the classical concert repertoire.
- Program Note from U.S. Marine Band concert program, 14 December 2016
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Oklahoma State University (Stillwater) Wind Ensemble (Joseph Missal, conductor) - 25 February 2021 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Jota Aragonesa
- Kamarinskaia Fantasy
- Life for the Czar Overture
- Marsch des 27 Dragoner Regiment in Kiev
- Overture to "Ruslan and Lyudmila" (1842)
- Overture to "Russlan and Ludmilla" (arr. Johnston) (1842)
- Russlan and Ludmilla (tr. Hindsley) (1842/1973)
- Russlan and Ludmilla (tr. Henning) (1842/1937)
- Russlan and Ludmilla (tr. Morgan) (1842/2016)
- Russlan and Ludmilla (tr. Rhea) (1842/2016)
- "Ruslan and Ludmilla" Overture (arr. Howell) (1842/2020)
- Slavsya (arr. Tchernetsky) (1836/1945)
- Valse Fantasie
- Matthew Howell website Accessed 25 February 2021
- Mikhail Glinka." Encyclopedia Britannica. Web. Accessed 13 February 2022
- Russlan and Ludmilla, Wikipedia
- "Ruslan and Lyudmila (Glinka, Mikhail)." IMSLP. Web. Accessed 13 February 2022