Ronald Searle Suite
Lyn Murray (orch. Steiner)
8. The Age of Steam
10. The Age of Gasoline
11. Miracles & Finale
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Bass Clarinet
Horn in F I-II
None discovered thus far.
The Ronald Searle Suite was composed for a documentary cartoon designed by the famous British animator Ronald Searle. It was commissioned by Standard Oil of New Jersey in 1957. The cartoon, entitle Energetically Yours, chronicles the development of energy sources and was produced by Transfilm. The suite was orchestrated by Murray's friend and colleague, Frederick Steiner.
- Program Note from An Annotated Guide to Wind Chamber Music
Today's performance is the world premiere of the Muséik-driven version of the film, synchronized to the music without the use of click tracks.
- Program Note by Mark Bonner, Jr., for the University of Missouri–Kansas City Wind Ensemble concert program, 20 February 2020
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Wind Ensemble (Joseph Higgins, conductor) – 21 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 Eastern Division Conference, Philadelphia, Penn.)
- University of Missouri–Kansas City Wind Ensemble (Joseph Parisi, conductor) – 20 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 Southwestern Division Conference, Norman, Okla.)
- University of Missouri, Kansas City, Wind Ensemble (Joseph Parisi, conductor) – 14 February 2020
- University of British Columbia (Vancouver) Concert Winds (Christian Reardon MacLellan, conductor) – 22 November 2019
- Messiah College (Mechanicsburg, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (James Colonna, conductor) – 8 November 2019
- The Georgia State University (Atlanta) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Robert Ambrose, conductor) – 24 February 2018 (CBDNA 2018 Southern Conference, Tampa, Fla.)
- Lynn University (Boca Raton, Fla.) Wind Ensemble (Kenneth Amis, conductor) - 12 January 2018
- Penn State University (University Park) Chamber Players (Brett Penshorn, conductor) - 28 January 2017
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, Mass.) Wind Ensemble (Frederick Harris Jr., conductor) - 2 January 2016
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Wind Ensemble (Joseph Higgins, conductor) – 1 May 2016
- Northshore (Chicago) Concert Band (Mallory Thompson, conductor) - 8 February 2015
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Collage for Clarinet and Band (1966)
- Ice Follies Waltz (1956)
- Ronald Searle Suite (orch. Steiner) (1962)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Lyn Murray." Accessed 7 January 2015
- Murray, L.; Searle, R.; Steiner, F. (1962). Ronald Searle Suite [score]. Novello: London.
- Winther, R. (2004). An Annotated Guide to Wind Chamber Music: For Six to Eighteen Players. Miami, FL : Warner Bros. Publications, p.291.