B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-VIII
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Bell Tree
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
A worthy study in contemporary compositional and performance techniques, the six parts of this work are made up of boxes of activity, (the duration of which is solely determined by the conductor) each with various note combinations, aleatoric activities, or techniques to be employed. As the title implies, the work explores textures, sounds and resonances.
- Program Note by publisher
Resonances I uses non-synchronous techniques to achieve its textures. It is not an aleatoric piece, as it was written to sound similar with each performance. Resonances I is structured in six units with four chapters. Each unit contains boxed notation, which presents the melodic/motivic material as well as the sustained harmonic material. The first five units are divided by seconds and not by traditional measures with each player asked to “interpret” their own motives as it pertains to tempo, volume, and articulation.
The piece culminates to a rousing conclusion in Unit VI that is written using traditional notation.
- Program Note by Steven Smyth for the Iowa State University Symphonic Band concert program, 22 February 2017
Resonances I represents an interesting and increasingly exciting musical texture. The six parts of this piece are made up of boxes of activity (the duration of which is solely determined by the conductor).It begins slowly, very quietly and distant, and then develops to a peak of enormous activity,intensity and tension, each with various note combinations, aleatoric activities, or techniques employed. As the title implies, the work explores textures,sounds, and the atmosphere.
It was commissioned by and dedicated to the Department of Music and the Center for the Creative Arts at Austin Peay State University, Clarkesville, Tennessee.
- Program Note from the University of Texas Wind Ensemble concert program, 1 October 2017
None discovered thus far.
- Virginia: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Symphonic Band (Joseph Higgins, conductor) – 27 February 2020
- College of New Jersey (Ewing Township) Blue Wind Ensemble (Eric Laprade, conductor) – 4 December 2019
- University of Oregon (Eugene) Wind Ensemble (Dennis Llanás, conductor) – 25 October 2019
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Symphonic Band (Joseph Higgins, conductor) 28 February 2019
- Dallas (Tex.) Winds (Jerry Junkin, conductor) – 26 February 2019
- Western Illinois University (Macomb) Showcase of Bands Honor Band (Gary Smith, conductor) – 23 February 2019
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Wind Symphony (Benjamin Lorenzo, conductor) – 24 April 2018
- Senzoku White Tie Wind Ensemble (Kawasaki, Japan) (Jerry Junkin, conductor) – 3 December 2017
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Skye Brown, conductor) – 3 October 2017
- University of Texas (Austin) Wind Ensemble (Jerry Junkin, conductor) – 1 October 2017
- Iowa State University (Ames) Symphonic Band (Stephen Smyth, conductor) – 22 February 2017
- Association of Texas Small School Bands (ATSSB) Symphonic Band (Joseph Missal, conductor) - 11 February 2017 (2017 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- Utah Music Educators Association All-State Band – Winter 2016
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Aspen Jubilee (1988)
- Brevard Fanfare
- Chaconne (In Memoriam…)
- Concerto for Piano & Symphonic Band
- Courtly Airs and Dances (1995)
- Danza Capriccio (1991/2013)
- Epiphanies (Fanfares and Chorales) (1994)
- Fanfare for a Celebration (1982/1986)
- Fanfare for Kennedy Center
- Fanfare for the Hour of Sunrise (1991)
- Fanfare for the New Millennium
- Lauds (Praise High Day) (1991)
- Mayflower Overture (1958)
- Medieval Suite
- Morning Alleluias for the Winter Solstice (1989/1991)
- Night Song (1998)
- Passacaglia (Homage on B-A-C-H) (1993)
- Pastorale (2006)
- Pebble Beach Sojourn (1983/1994)
- Resonances I (1990)
- Rocky Point Holiday
- Savannah River Holiday (1953/1973)
- Sonoran Desert Holiday (1995)
- Te Deum Laudamus
- To the Airborne
- Nelson, R. (1991). Resonances I: Music for Winds [score]. Ludwig Music Pub.: Cleveland, Ohio.