B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Suspended Cymbal
- Wind Chimes
None discovered thus far.
Resignation was composed in memory of one of Ed Kiefer's best friends. Evoking the struggle of coming to grips with the loss of a dear friend, the piece is based on the hymn, My Shepherd Will Supply My Need. It is dramatic, heartfelt, and overwhelmingly beautiful. As Hans Christian Andersen once said, "When words fail, music speaks."
- Program Note by publisher
There is no possible way I could compose a piece of music worthy of the memory of my close friend, Dr. David Kirby, who died very suddenly at an early age. Neither could I write a piece that could come close to reflecting his kind spirit, wit, personality or talent. In fact, it was almost impossible for me to write anything at all. My own grief and the stages of my grief kept getting in the way. I ended up with a setting of the hymn-tune, Resignation. Resigned. To the fact that he is no longer with us. I know he is in a better place, but we are not. We miss him very much. And so, My Shepherd Will Supply My Need seems to speak to those of us he left behind. I apologize if this piece does not reflect your special feelings for him or help you celebrate his moving on. Unfortunately, I could only put down what I have come to accept and hope in some way it may speak to any of you that knew him or to others of you who have also lost a close friend. My Shepherd Will Supply My Need. That is my hope and my hope for you.
- Program Note from composer
The work begins an ends with a clarinet solo, the clarinet being David Kirby's instrument.
- Program Note by Phillip Riggs
None discovered thus far.
- Alabama: 2018-19 Additions Class BB
- Texas: III. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (Durham) Wind Ensemble (Ed Kiefer, conductor) – January 2019
- North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (Durham) Wind Ensemble (Phillip Riggs, conductor) – May 2017 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by this Composer
- The Anguish of Nosferatu (2014)
- Arabian Processional
- Bluegrass Rondeau (2013)
- Chips and Salsa (2016)
- Circle in a Square (2013)
- Humble Heart (2018)
- An Irish Legend (2012)
- Journey of the Spanish Buccaneers (2018)
- Mountain Dance (2008)
- Rain and Snow on the Cedar Cliffs (2015)
- Resignation (2018)
- Search for the Lost Colony (2013)
- Whitewater Run
- Phillip Riggs, personal correspondence, April 2020