Regina Coeli Laetare from "Cavalleria Rusticana"
Pietro Mascagni (arr. Johnson)
Year: 1890 / 2015
Duration: c. 3:30
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(Percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
The Regina Cæli or Regina Cœli (pronounced Re-GEEN-a CHE-li, meaning "Queen of Heaven") is an ancient Latin Marian Hymn of the Catholic Church.
It is one of the four seasonal Marian antiphons of the Blessed Virgin Mary, prescribed to be sung or recited in the Liturgy of the Hours at the conclusion of the last of the hours to be prayed in common that day, typically night prayer (Compline or Vespers). The Regina Coeli is sung or recited in place of the Angelus during the Easter season, from Holy Saturday through the Saturday after Pentecost.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
Cavalleria Rusticana (Rustic Chivalry) is an opera in one act by Pietro Mascagni (19863-1945). The libretto is by Giovanni Targioni-Tozzetti and Guido Menasci, adapted from a play and short story written y Giovanni Verga. Considered one of the classic verismo operas, it was premiered on May 17, 1980, at the Teatro Costanzi in Rome. Since 1893, it has often been performed in a so-called Cav/Pag double bill with Pagliacci by Ruggero Leoncavallo. Cavalleria Rusticana was Mascagni's first opera to be completed and performed. It remains the best known of his fifteen operas and one operetta.
One of the most beautiful moments of the opera is the chorus Regina Coeli (Queen of Heaven). Regina Coeli is an ancient Latin Marian hymn of the Catholic Church.
- Program Note by William V. Johnson
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Alumni Concert Band (William V. Johnson, conductor) – 5 June 2016
- San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Wind Orchestra (Brian Asher Alhadeff, conductor; Kristina Horacek, mezzo-soprano) - 31 May 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Cavalleria Rusticana (arr. Shishikura) (2011)
- Intermezzo (arr. Suzuki (1890/)
- Intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (tr. Kreines) (1890)
- Intermezzo from "L'Amico Fritz" (tr. Falcone)
- Intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Falcone) (1890/1968)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico (arr. Del Borgo) (1890/2003)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Sonyong) (1890)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (tr. Odom) (1890)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Tatebe) (1890/2009)
- Regina Coeli Laetare from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Johnson) (1890/2015)
- Regina Coeli from from "Cavalleria Rusticana"(1890/1970)