B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Website does not list required bass clarinet part
Red Hill Special March for band was transcribed by Larry Clark from the third movement of a larger work, Century’s Song, which was commissioned by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission for the ProMusica Chamber Orchestra of Columbus, Ohio, to commemorate the Ohio Bicentennial.
The ProMusica Chamber Orchestra of Columbus first performed it on February 23, 2003, with Timothy Russell, music director, conducting. The last movement is a lively march with occasional quotes from the Red Hill Special, a fiddle tune that can be heard on the recording, Folk Music of Ohio, 1938 through 1940.
- Program Note by Composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Mid America Freedom Band (Kansas City, Mo.) (Lee Hartman, conductor) – 20 October 2018
- Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony (Gary Ciepluch, conductor) – 3 December 2007 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Celebration (1998)
- Centennial Bells (2003)
- Daniel and Snakeman (2019)
- Pulse (2003/2013)
- Red Hill Special March (tr. Clark) (2003)
- Sizzle (2000/2020)
- Timespan (1986)
- Tolling the Spirits (1994)
- The Horizon Leans Forward..., compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 274.
- Red Hill Special March website Accessed 26 March 2020