E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
String Bass (optional)
Percussion I-VI, including:
- Bass Drum
- Splash Cymbal
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
The sun god Ra was the most important god of the ancient Egyptians. Born anew each day, Ra journeyed across the sky in a boat crewed by many other gods. During the day Ra would do battle with his chief enemy, a serpent named Apep, usually emerging victorious, though on stormy days or during an eclipse, the Egyptians believed that Apep had won and swallowed the sun.
Ra! is a rather aggressive depiction of an imagined ritual of sun worship, perhaps celebrating the daily battles of Ra and Apep. There are four ideas presented in the movement: 1) a "skin dance" featuring the timpani and other percussion, 2) a declarative, unison melodic line, 3) a layered texture of pulses, and 4) sun bursts and shines. The movement alternates abruptly between these ideas, as if following the precise dictates of a grand ceremony.
- Program Note by composer
- NBA William Revelli Memorial Composition Contest, 2003, winner.
- Audio CD: North Texas Wind Symphony (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) - 2003
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Wind Ensemble (David Gregory, conductor) - 3 March 2022 (87th Annual ABA National Convention)
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Wind Ensemble (Eric Smedley, conductor) – 22 February 2022
- Eastern Michigan University (Ypsilanti) Wind Symphony (Mary K. Schneider, conductor) – 21 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 North Central Division Conference, Chicago, Ill.)
- Oregon State University (Corvallis) Wind Ensemble (Chris Chapman, conductor) -17 March 2018 (2018 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Wind Ensemble (Steven Pratt, conductor) - 26 March 2015 (2015 CBDNA National Conference, Nashville)
- Indiana University Wind Ensemble (Stephen Pratt, conductor) - 17 February 2015
- University of South Florida (Tampa) Wind Ensemble (Matthew McCutchen, conductor) – 26 February 2010 (CBDNA 2010 Southern Division Conference, Oxford, Miss.)
- University of Montana (Missoula) Wind Ensemble (Steve Bolstad, conductor) – 15 March 2006 (CBDNA 2006 Western/Northwestern Division Conference, Reno, Nev.)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- as filaments of memory spin… (1998)
- Elegy and Quickstep (2006)
- Fanfares on Re for Ray (2003)
- Gloriana, Frangipana (2018)
- Incantation (1992)
- Myaku (1999)
- Nocturne (2007)
- Ra! (2003)
- Shadow Dance (2006)
- Shake, Rattle and Roll (2004)
- Snake Alley (1989/2010)
- Symphony No. 2 (2016)
- Two Celebratory Fanfares (1995/2007)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "David Dzubay." Accessed 10 February 2015
- Dzubay, D. (2002). Ra! :Symphonic Band (Wind Ensemble) [score]. Pro Nova Music: Bloomington, Ind.