E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contra Alto Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Oboe II, 2 m. before reh. P, beat 4: A-flat should read B-flat.
- Oboe II, 2 m. before reh. R, beat 4: A-flat should read B-flat.
- F Horn I, 4 m. after reh. A, beat 1: Add quarter rest.
- Trombone II, 1 m. before reh. B, beat 4: D-flat should read D-natural.
- Trombone II, 1 m. before reh. O, beat 1: Delete quarter rest.
Alford wrote The Purple Carnival March for bandmaster Glenn Cliffe Barnum, conductor of the Northwestern University Band, and his good friend. It premiered in 1933, and its minor tonality and low wind features have solidified it as a staple of the march literature in the decades since.
– Program Note by Carlye McGregor for Louisiana State University Symphonic Band concert program, 7 March 2022
- Audio CD: U.S. Army Band
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- San Antonio (Tx.) Symphonic Band (Alfred Tapia, conductor) - 26 September 2023
- North County Winds (San Diego, Calif.) (Vince Hernandez, conductor) - 27 February 2023
- Maryland Winds (Baltimore) (Timothy Holtan, conductor) - 29 January 2023
- Association of Concert Bands Convention Band (Santa Fe, N.M.) (Christina A. Muncey, conductor) – 7 May 2022 (ACB 2022 Annual Convention (Santa Fe, New Mexico))
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Symphonic Band (Kelvin Jones, conductor) - 7 March 2022
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Symphony Band (David Thornton, conductor) – 24 November 2019
- Ripon (Wisc.) College Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Tobin Shucha, conductor) – 17 November 2019
- American Legion Band of the Tonawandas (N.Y.) (Michael Shaw, conductor) – 3 May 2018 (ACB 2018 Annual Convention (Buffalo, N.Y.))
- Tualatin Valley Community Band (Tigard Ore.) (Kevin Soon, conductor) – 18 March 2018
- Southern Oregon University (Ashland) Wind Ensemble (Cynthia Hutton, conductor)– 15 March 2018
- Oregon State University (Corvallis) Wind Symphony (Olin Hannum, conductor) – 27 February 2018
- United States Military Academy Band (West Point N.Y.) – 12 January 2018
- Brock University (St. Catharines, Ont.) Wind Ensemble (Zoltan Kalman, conductor) – 6 December 2017
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Keith Waibel, conductor) – 22 August 2017
- Peninsula Symphonic Band (Palo Alto, Calif.) (Ted Henderson, conductor) – 20 November 2016
- Foothill Symphonic Winds (Palo Alto, Calif.) (David Bruce Adams, conductor) – 5 June 2016
- Cesar Chavez High School (Stockton, Calif.) Titan Symphonic Band (Dennie Turner, conductor) - 11 March 2016 (2016 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- Allegheny College (Pa.) Band Camp for Adult Musicians (Michelle Rakers, conductor) - 14 June 2013
- Los Angeles Pierce Symphonic Winds (Stephen Piazza, conductor) - 3 March 2013
- San Jose Wind Symphony (Edward C. Harris, conductor) - 27 January 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Call of the Elk March (1920)
- Evanston Civic Band March (as arranger) (1925)
- Glory of the Gridiron March (1932)
- Law and Order (1926)
- Lucy's Sextette (ed. and trans. Oliver) (1913/2010)
- March of the Illini (1926/1928)
- My Hero (as arranger) (1908/1936)
- The Purple Carnival (1933)
- Roll 'Em Up (1922)
- Skyliner (ed. Kinsey) (1936/2022)
- A Step Ahead (1940)
- The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise (1934)
- Alford, H.; Erickson, F. The Purple Carnival March : For Concert Band [score]. G. Schirmer, 1933, 1969.
- Chevallard, Carl. Teaching Music Through Performing Marches. Compiled and edited by Richard Miles. GIA Publications, 2003. pp. 364–368
- Smith, Norman E. March Music Notes. Program Note Press, 1986; GIA Publications, 1996, p. 4.