Subtitle: Fantasy for Concert Band
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Prism (1998) was written as a theater composition. The three sections within the piece capture three distinct moods as a prism captures light with the first motive reappearing in a different form at the end, bringing PRISM full circle.
The composition expresses many emotions within any given section, representing what we as individuals experience in everyday life.
- Program Note from publisher
- Audio: Reference recording. Symphonisches Blasorchester des Musikverein Östringen (Markus Mauderer, conductor)
- Audio CD: Male High School Symphonic Band (Nan Moore, conductor) – 2001
- Alabama: Class BB
- Virginia: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Central Arkansas (Conway) Symphonic Band (Brantley Douglas, conductor) - 2 December 2021
- Male High School (Louisville, Ky.) Symphonic Band (Nan Moore, conductor) – 20 December 2001 (2001 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Shafer, Steve." Accessed 24 June 2022
- Shafer, S. (2001). Prism: Fantasy for Concert Band [score]. Southern Music: San Antonio, Tx.