Prelude and Fugue in F minor
Duration: c. 6:25
Publisher: Shawnee Press
Cost: Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
Movements (played without pause)
1. Prelude: Poco lento e deliberato molto (♩ = c. 64)
Allegro scherzando (♩ = c. 140) — Tempo I
2. Fugue: Lento moderato (half-note = c. 72)
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Contra-Alto Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
In this work Bright made effective use of contemporary dissonances while staying within the traditional prelude and fugue form. The slow prelude is almost harsh in its dissonances, while the fugue has more traditional harmonies. Thus the tension of the opening is relieved by the movement and relative consonance of the finale.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
In May 1975, Houston Bright's Prelude and Fugue in F minor was among works named by the National Association for Music Education's Bicentennial Commission for inclusion on a Selective List of American Music for the Bicentennial Celebration. Compositions so honored were chosen by the College Band Directors National Association and the National Association of College Wind and Percussion Instructors, with assistance from Bicentennial Commission members Professor George H. Kyme and Dr. Frank Anthony Bencriscutto.
- Arkansas: IV
- California: III
- Florida: V
- Georgia: V
- Iowa: IV
- Kansas: V
- Louisiana: IV
- Massachusetts: IV
- South Carolina: V
- Tennessee: IV
- Virginia: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Westminster College (New Wilmington, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (R. Tad Greig, conductor) - 30 April 2021
- The Lexington (Mass.) Bicentennial Band (Jeff Leonard, conductor) - 30 January 2011
- Indiana All-State High School Band (Joseph Scagnoli, conductor) - 13 March 2005
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto Grosso in E minor (1968)
- Legend and Canon: Two Short Pieces for Brass Quartet, for two trumpets (or cornets), horn, and trombone (1953)
- Marche de Concert (1957)
- Now Deck Thyself with Majesty and Excellence, for mixed-voice chorus (SATB) and symphonic band (1968)
- Passacaglia in G minor (1964)
- Prelude and Fugue in F minor (1960)
- Sunrise Alleluia, for mixed-voice chorus (SATB), brass octet, and timpani (1966)
- Three Short Dances, for woodwind quintet (1961)
- Bright, H. (1960). Prelude and Fugue in F minor [score]. Shawnee Press: Delaware Water Gap, Penn.
- MENC (Music Educators National Conference) Bicentennial Commission (1975). Selective List of American Music for the Bicentennial Celebration—Band. Music Educators Journal, 61(9), 48-52.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 87.