Medley arranged by James Howe
Subtitle: Concert March Medley of Traditional Scottish Airs
Duration: c. 3:00
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Southern Music
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $120.00 | Full Score Only (print) - $14.95 | Condensed Score Only (print) - $8.00
For further availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo-I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contra Alto Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone I-II
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- B-flat Cornet III, 3 m. before reh. B: Rhythm should read: eighth rest - eighth note - eighth rest - eighth note (pitches remain the same).
This march is named after the range of hills near Edinburgh, Scotland, where it was composed. It is based on three Scottish airs: The Lass O' Gowrie, John Anderson, My Jo,' and Rowan Tree. The march is very popular with the British bands and its featured by H.M. Scots Guards in the ceremony of Trooping the Colour.
- Program Note from March Music Notes
Major James H. Howe was born in County Durham, England. He started his study of the cornet and piano at the age of nine, eventually leading to a musical career that began as a bandsman in the Royal Scots Army Band. Songs in this piece include "Lass O' Gowrie," "John Anderson, My Jo," and "The Rowan Tree." Pentland Hills is among his most popular marches, which also include "Sterling Castle" and "Glasgow Fair", all published by Southern Music.
- Program Note from publisher
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Texas A&M University Symphonic Bands (Timothy Rhea, conductor)
- Kansas: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Georgia (Athens) Honor Wind Symphony (Ricky Fleming, conductor) - 22 January 2023
- Grace College (Winona Lake, Ind.) Wind Ensemble (Eric Criss, conductor) – 29 November 2021
- Shepherd University (Shepherdstown, W.V.) Wind Ensemble (Scott Hippensteel, conductor - 5 March 2021
- Central Davidson (N.C.) High School Wind Ensemble (Rodney Workman, conductor) – 4 October2018
- Ohio State University (Columbus) Scarlet High School Honor Band (Scott A. Jones, conductor) – 14 January 2018
- Nieuwjaarsconcert Kunst na Strijd Woudrichem – 19 January 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Glasgow Fair (1986)
- Pentland Hills (1965)
- Pride of Princes Street
- Stirling Castle (1997)
- Traffic Tangle
- Howe, J. (1965). Pentland Hills: Concert March for Symphonic Band [score]. Southern Music: San Antonio, Tx.
- Smith, Norman E. (1986). March Music Notes. Lake Charles, La.: Program Note Press, pp. 206.