Pedro Alejandro Sarmiento Rodríguez (b. 1977) is a Colombian composer.
He studied classical guitar and musical composition at the Department of Music of the National University of Colombia where he received his degree in 2000, his teachers being Sonia Díaz and Blas Atehortúa. Since then he has dedicated himself to composing music for bands, orchestras, chamber groups and solo instruments.
Sarmiento's works have been premiered and performed in Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Spain, the United States and Venezuela, by groups such as the National Symphony Orchestra of Colombia, Philharmonic Orchestra of Bogotá, and the group of soloists of the Berliner Deutsche Oper. among many others.
In Colombia, he has participated in the International Festival of Contemporary Music of Bogotá, International Seminar of Yamaha Bands, Series of Young Interpreters of the BLAA, Ibero-American Guitar Festival of the UIS, and International Meeting of Guitar of Compensar. Likewise, he has participated in the Ibero-American Congress of Composers, Directors, Arrangers and Instrumentalists of Symphonic Band and Wind Ensembles (Argentina, Brazil and Spain), First Festival of Yamaha Bands in Argentina and in the Ibero-American Meeting of Composers (SP Brazil) in the other Ibero-American countries.
Works for Winds
- Canto de galeras (2009)
- Como empiezan las historias (2004)
- Concierto de salón (2008)
- Concierto para arpa y orquesta de vientos (2011)
- Epicedio a Giacinto Scelsi (2011)
- Fámulo (2013)
- Memento a la memoria de San Pedro Claver (2007)
- Sinfonía para timbales y orquesta de vientos (2002)
- Suite para banda sinfónica (2001)
- "Pedro Alejandro Sarmiento Rodríguez." Círculo Colombiano de Música Contemporánea. Web. Accessed 23 August 2017