This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Year: 1996 / 2001
Duration: c. 5:55
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Keiser Southern Music
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $140.00 | Score Only (print) - $15.00
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
Panther Fire was commissioned by Miriam Muniz-Schwab and the Pflugerville Panther Band and received first price in the National Band Association Grade III/IV Composition Competition.
The outer sections of the work are extremely energetic and exciting, and each section of the band is given an opportunity to shine. The middle section features the woodwinds and horns, who present chorale-like statements of a tranquil and lyrical theme. This material gradually grows into a broad and majestic presentation of the theme for the entire ensemble, which in turn leads to a dramatic restatement of the energetic opening.
- Program Note from publisher
- National Band Association III/IV Composition Competition, 1996, first prize
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Edgewood Junior High School Eighth Grade Concert Band (James DeCaro, conductor) – 2002
- Tennessee: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Cardinal Heights Upper Middle School (Sun Prairie, Wisc.) 9th Grade Band (Ian Melrose, conductor) – 11 April 2016
- Edgewood Junior High School (Ellettsville, Ind.) Band (Jim DeCaro, conductor) – 18 December 2002 (2002 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Beacon Fires (2009)
- Blue Norther (2003/2007)
- Catalytic Concerto (1993)
- Dance Mix (2000)
- Ear Bend (2014)
- Fuse (2008)
- Kicking & Screaming (2009)
- Morse Code Pop (2005/2015)
- Panther Fire (1996/2001)
- The Path Ascending (2002)
- Pendulum (2015)
- Push (2001)
- Slide Machinery (1998)
- Westchester Daydream (2016)
- Whirl (1999)
- Rob Smith website – Accessed 11 June 2022
- Smith, R. (2001). Panther Fire [score]. Southern Music Co.: San Antonio, Tx.