Karl Jenkins (arr. Longfield)
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Year: 1996 / 2006
Duration: c. 2:45
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Boosey & Hawkes
Cost: Score and Parts - $55.00 | Score Only - $5.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
(Percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Although this composition sounds like it came straight out of the Baroque period, it is actually the first movement of a suite by Karl Jenkins written in 1996. Instantly recognized as the "diamond commercial" theme, its relentless pulse and dramatic nature make it a natural for bands. This skilled arrangement puts it within reach of most groups.
- Program note by publisher
The first movement of the Concerto Grosso for String Orchestra by Karl Jenkins is perhaps one of the most famous pieces of classical music to emerge from the 1990s, commonly known as Palladio after architect Andrea Palladio, who gave Jenkins the inspiration for this piece. Performed here as a wind band arrangement, the music is full of energy, yet composed predominantly in a minor key with a contrasting middle section introduced with a new theme on the trumpet. The piece gains intensity throughout, leading to a big finish.
- Program Note from Leeds University Union (England) Concert Band concert program, 6 November 2016
- West Virginia: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Lee University (Cleveland, Tenn.) Wind Ensemble (David Holsinger, conductor) - 21 November 2022
- Indiana Wind Symphony (Carmel) (Charles P. Conrad, conductor) - 23 May 2021
- Leeds University Union (England) Concert Band (Connor Marston, conductor) 19 November 2016
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Wind Orchestra (Christopher J. Woodruff, conductor) - 8 March 2013
- Marple Newtown High School Band - February 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- The Armed Man (arr. Longfield) (1999/2015)
- Euphonium Concerto (2009/2009)
- Palladio (arr. Longfield) (1996/2006)
- Jenkins, K.; Longfield, R. (2006). Palladio [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: London.