Vincent Persichetti (ed. Justin Tokke)
This work bears the designation Opus 59.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tenor Drum
None discovered thus far.
Pageant was commissioned by the American Bandmaster's Association and was completed in January 1953. It is Persichetti's third work for band. It opens in slow tempo with a motive in the horn that is used throughout both sections of the piece. The slow chordal section is succeeded by a lively "parade" section introduced by the snare drum. In the final portion of the work the two principal subjects are developed simultaneously to a lively climax.
The first performance of this work took place on 7 March 1953, at the ABA Convention in Miami, Florida. It was performed by the University of Miami Band, with the composer conducting.
- Program Note by Vincent Persichetti
This classic, originally written in 1953, has long been a staple for bands everywhere. It is utterly delightful to play, and this new edition ensures that it will not be forgotten. The work begins with a solo horn melody of only three notes. This horn motive is used throughout both sections of the composition. The first section is slow, chordal, and beautiful. The second section depicts a vivacious parade tempo and is introduced by a snare drum solo. In the final section, the two principal subjects are skillfully combined, bringing the music to a brilliant close.
- Program Note from The Instrumentalist
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Bagatelles for Band (1961)
- Celebrations (1966)
- Chorale Prelude: O God Unseen (1984)
- Chorale Prelude: So Pure the Star (1963)
- Chorale Prelude: Turn Not Thy Face (1963/1968)
- Divertimento for Band (1953)
- A Lincoln Address (1959/1974)
- Masquerade for Band (1965)
- O Cool Is the Valley (1971)
- O God Unseen. See: Chorale Prelude: O God Unseen
- Pageant (1953)
- Pageant (ed. Tokke) (1953/c. 2019)
- Parable IX (1974)
- Pastoral (1943/1951)
- Psalm for Band (1953)
- Serenade for Band (1960)
- Serenade No 1 (1929/1963)
- Serenade No. 11. See: Serenade for Band
- So Pure the Star
- Symphony for Band (1956)
- "New Music Reviews." The Instrumentalist, 75.3 (Dec. 2020/Jan. 2021): 35-36. Print.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 476.