One for All
Duration: c. 3:45
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Robert Litton
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Field Drum
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tom-Toms (4)
- Triangles, large and small
None discovered thus far.
One for All, a fanfare for wind ensemble, was written for the California State University, Hayward, (CSUH) Wind Ensemble I’s Fall tour 2000. One of my main goals for this piece was to use compositional and orchestrational techniques that would grab and hold the attention of an audience of young musicians. The title of the piece was chosen in part because of its instant recognition as the second half of the Musketeers’ motto and thus setting the mood of the piece by conjuring up feelings of excitement, adventure, triumph, and redemption. The phrase itself, “One for All,” implies an unselfish attitude and dedication to helping others.
This piece was written to showcase the incredible musicians in the CSUH Wind Ensemble and their “One for All” attitude and approach to every piece of music they shared with an audience. I would like to extend my thanks to the conductor of the CSUH Wind Ensemble I, Tim Smith, and CSUH professor of composition Dr. Frank LaRocca for their guidance and patience, and to the ensemble's bass trombonist, Richard Lee, the most unselfish person I know and to whom this piece is dedicated.
- Program Note by composer
- H. Robert Reynolds National Composition Competition, 2001, winner.
- Audio CD: Texas Christian University Wind Symphony (Bobby Francis, conductor) – 2018
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Sacramento (Calif.) Symphonic Winds (Tim Smith, conductor) – 13 October 2019
- University of Delaware Wind Ensemble (Lauren Reynolds, conductor) - 11 October 2018
- Texas Christian University (Fort Worth) Wind Symphony (Ray Toler, conductor) - 7 March 2018 (83nd Annual ABA National Convention)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania Wind Ensemble (Timothy Paul, conductor) – 9 March 2018 (CBDNA 2018 Eastern Conference, New Haven, Conn.)
- California State University, East Bay, Faculty-Alumni Wind Orchestra (Timothy Smith, conductor) – 11 March 2014
- California State University, Hayward, Wind Ensemble (Timothy Smith, conductor) - Fall 2001 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Ice Breaker (2015)
- Inaugural Fanfare
- One for All (2000)
- The Three Dachshunds
- Robert Litton website] Accessed 16 September 2019
- Timothy Smith, personal correspondence, September 2019