Old Scottish Melody
Setting by Charles Wiley
This work is also known as "Auld Lang Syne."
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Bb Contrabass Clarinet
Eb Alto Saxophone I-II
Bb Tenor Saxophone
Eb Baritone Saxophone
Bb Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Euphonium (Bass Clef & Treble Clef)
Precussion, including:<br /?
- Crash Cymbals
None discovered thus far.
Robert Burns’ 1788 poem is based on a traditional Scottish ballad, which also served as bases for poems that predated Burns’, such as Robert Ayton and James Watson. The text invites us to remember days of yore. In addition to its appearance as we recognize the onset of the new year, the song is used across the world for other occasions such as funerals (Chile) and graduation ceremonies (Hungary).
For auld lang syne my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We’ll take a cup of kindness yet
For auld lang syne.
Auld lang syne.
- Program Note by San Luis Obispo (Calif.) Wind Orchestra
This old Scottish melody, Auld Lang Syne, in Scottish dialect means "old long since," or days gone by. This setting was made for Dr. John Gray and his wife, Mary. It was first performed by the Lamar University Symphonic Band at a farewell concert for Dr. Gray upon his retirement as president of Lamar University in December 1976.
- Program Note from Spring High School Wind Ensemble concert program, 16 December 2016
None discovered thus far.
- Alabama: Class BB
- Arkansas: IV
- Florida: III
- Georgia: IV
- Iowa: II
- Indiana: ISSMA SENIOR BAND GROUP III
- Kansas: III
- Louisiana: III
- Maryland: III
- Michigan: Senior High D
- Mississippi: V-A
- North Carolina: IV
- South Carolina: IV
- Texas: III. Complete
- Virginia: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Lone Star Symphonic Band (Katy, Tx.) (Bob Bryant, conductor) – 15 December 2019
- Hanover Wind Symphony (Whippany, N.J.) (Matthew Paterno, conductor) – 8 December 2019
- West Chester University (Penn.) Concert Band (John Johnston, conductor) – 4 December 2019
- Wisconsin Lutheran College (Milwaukee) Concert Band (Terry S. Treuden, conductor) – 1 December 2019
- Lamar University (Beaumont, Tx.) Symphonic Band (Eric Shannon, conductor) – 17 October 2019
- Mendota (Minn.) High School Band (Chris Dortwegt, conductor) - 24 April 2018
- Lee University (Cleveland, Tenn.) Wind Ensemble (David Holsinger, conductor) – 17 April 2018
- Lone Star Symphonic Band (Katy, Tx.) (Richard Crain, conductor) – 10 December 2017
- Association of Texas Small School Bands (ATSSB) Concert Band (Jeff Gershman, conductor) - 11 February 2017 (2017 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- Spring (Texas) High School Wind Ensemble (Richard Crain, conductor) - 16 December 2016 (2016 Midwest Clinic)
- Northwestern Michigan College (Traverse City) Concert Band (Patricia Brumbaugh) 16 December 2016
- Lone Star Symphonic Band (Katy, Texas) (Bob Bryant, conductor) – 13 December 2015
- Vienna (VA) Community Band (Cornelius Young, Conductor) - 14 December 2014
- University of Texas, Brownsville, Symphonic Band (Allen Clark, conductor) - 13 April 2014
- Wiley, C. (1977). Old Scottish Tune: Auld Lang Syne [score]. TRN Music: Alto, N.M.