Old Grumbly Bear, The
Julius Fučík (arr. Andrew Glover)
Subtitle: Solo for Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Baritone Saxophone, Euphonum or Tuba with band accompaniment.
This work is also listed under title in German, Der Alte Brummbar. It bears the designation Opus 210.
Year: 1910 / 2004
Duration: c. 4:50
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Bassoon and symphony
Publisher: C.L. Barnhouse
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $72.00 | Score Only (print) - $7.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Who would have thought that a grumpy old bear could be so delightful to spend time with? This old fashioned charmer can feature your choice of low-voiced soloist, including bassoon, bass clarinet, baritone saxophone, euphonium (B.C. or T.C.) or tuba. It's an ideal solo to showcase your star performer's musical abilities in a humorous and fun way. The accompaniment is at the medium-easy level, and the solo sits at the medium level. Fun for all, and great way to give the unsung heroes of your band some much deserved attention!
- Program Note from publisher
Fučik was himself a bassoon player and composed this charming “polka comique” for solo bassoon and orchestra around 1910 under the title Der alto Brummbar or the Old Grumbling Bear. The title suggests the possibility that this piece might in some way be a musical portrait, either of Fučik himself or of some cranky older bassoonist that Fučik met in his long performance career.
- Program Note from Indian Springs Middle School Band concert program, 12 February 2016
For Ronald P. Anson, of course.
- Program Note from score
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Stephen F. Austin State University (Nacogdoches, Tx.) Symphonic Band (Chris Kaatz, conductor; Cody Hunter, bassoon) - 18 April 2023
- Gloucester Community Concert Band (Ottawa, Can.) (Lisa Concessi Maclean, conductor) – 4 June 2017
- Nature Coast Community Band (Beverly Hills, Fla.) (Cindy Hazzard, conductor) – 4 May 2017 (ACB 2017 Annual Convention (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.))
- 2015 Lesbian and Gay Band Association (Indianapolis, Ind.) – 9 August 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Children of the Regiment (tr. Bourgeois) (ca. 1915/1996)
- Concertino for Bassoon (arr. Belohoubek) (2015)
- Der alto Brummbar. See: The Old Grumbly Bear and The Old Sore-Head
- Entry of the Gladiators (arr. Balent) (1900/2004)
- Entry of the Gladiators (arr. Holcombe Jr.) (1900)
- Entry of the Gladiators (tr. Laurendeau; arr. Seredy) (1900/1936)
- Entry of the Gladiators (tr. Laurendeau; arr. Seredy; ed. Ragsdale) (1900/1997)
- Fanfare Sounds (arr. Bourgeois) (2017)
- Florentiner (arr. Lake, ed. Fennell) (1907/1980)
- Florentiner March (ed. Bourgeois) (1907/1999)
- Florentiner March (arr. Rossi) (1907/2007)
- Gigantic (arr. Sip) (2002/2016)
- Kinizsi (ed. Ohnmeiss)
- Kinizsi (arr. Borodach)
- Marinarella (arr. Beek) (1907/2005)
- Mississippi River (arr. Studnitzky) (1902/1995)
- The Old Grumbly Bear (arr. Glover) (1910/2004)
- The Old Sore-Head (arr. Rogers) (1910/2000)
- Thunder and Blazes (arr. Foster Jr.) (1900/2011)
- Unter Der Admirals Flagge (Singerling) (1983)
- Victory Trophies (arr. Sip) (1915/2002/2016)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Julius Fucik." Accessed 18 January 2016