(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
This Oboe Concerto gives the instrument a chance to highlight its extraordinary lyrical gift. The beauty of the soaring line intrigued me as a starting point, and then the realization that the oboe makes a great partner for duets within an orchestral texture sent me in the direction of creating interactions with other instruments in the supporting ensemble. This instrument’s playful quality in quick-moving passages set the tone for the faster sections. I have always thought of the oboe as being a most majestic instrument, and it was a pleasure to be able to create a work that would highlight its beauty and grace.
Oboe Concerto was commissioned by the Minnesota Commissioning Club, and premiered by Kathy Greenbank and The St. Paul Chamber Orchestra in 2005. The wind ensemble transcription was completed in 2008.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio: University of Michigan Symphony Band (Michael Haithcock, conductor; Nancy Ambrose King, oboe)
- Audio CD: University of Michigan Symphony Band (Michael Haithcock, conductor; Nancy Ambrose King, oboe) - 2010
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Indianapolis (Ind.) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Jon Noworyta, conductor; Jennifer Christen, oboe) - 23 April 2019
- University of Arizona (Tucson) Wind Ensemble (Chad R. Nicholson, conductor; Steve Pettey, oboe) – 18 October 2018
- University of Miami (Coral Gables) Frost Wind Ensemble (Robert Carnochan, conductor; Robert Weiner, oboe) – 29 October 2017
- United States Coast Guard Band (New London, Conn. (Jason K. Fettig, conductor; Briana Tarby, oboe) – 20 November 2016
- University of Missouri, Kansas City, Wind Symphony (Steven D. Davis, conductor) – 29 September 2016
- Shenandoah Conservatory (Winchester, Va.) Wind Ensemble (Timothy Robblee, conductor; Stephen Key, oboe) – 15 November 2015
- Dallas (Tx.) Winds (Jerry Junkin, conductor) - 8 November 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Aspire (2022)
- Blue Cathedral (tr. Nowlin) (1999/2020)
- Blue Cathedral (tr. Patterson) (1999/2015)
- Fanfare Ritmico (2002)
- Kelly's Field (2006)
- Like ClockWork
- Machine (tr. Blon) (2003/2017)
- Mysterium (2011)
- Oboe Concerto (2005/2008)
- Percussion Concerto (2005)
- Road Stories (2012)
- Rhythm Stand (2004)
- SkyLine (arr. Scott) (2002/2020)
- Soprano Sax Concerto (2005/2007)
- Spirit (2006)
- Steeley Pause (1988)
- Tenfold (2010)
- Wind Shear (2000)
- Higdon, J. (2005). Oboe Concerto [score]. Lawdon Press: [Philadelphia, Penn.].
- "OBOE CONCERTO by Jennifer Higdon (USA)." WASBE. Web. (Featured as WASBE’s Composition of the Week, 7 September 2020). Accessed 14 January 2023