Nothing Gold Can Stay
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
String Bass (optional)
- Bass Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Vibraphone (optional)
None discovered thus far.
Nothing Gold Can Stay was commissioned as a surprise gift for Kevin Sedatole in honor of his first ten years at Michigan State University. His conducting students spanning that decade, led by Jamal Duncan and Armand Hall, banded together and approached me at the 2015 College Band Directors National Convention in Nashville about writing the work, and I knew immediately that I couldn’t refuse this special project, made all the more appropriate because my wife, Verena, was one of Kevin’s very first students at MSU.
The music is my deliberate attempt to write a chorale – something simple, beautiful, and familiar. The deceptive surface simplicity of Robert Frost’s poem seems to coincide with this music, particularly the paradoxical descending of dawn to day, all embodying the concept of felix culpa, or “lucky fall” – the idea that loss can bring greater good, and is in fact necessary.
Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
- Robert Frost
- Program Note by composer
None discovered thus far.
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- MidAmerica Nazarene University (Olathe, Ks.) Concert Band (Luke D. Johnson, conductor) – 8 March 2020
- Hartwick College (Oneonta, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Pease, conductor) – 5 March 2020
- University of Memphis (Tenn.) Wind Ensemble (Albert Nguyen, conductor) – 6 February 2020
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Concert Band (Daniel Lee, conductor) – 28 October 2019
- University of Iowa (Iowa City) Concert Band (Eric Bush, conductor) – 10 October 2019
- Henderson State University (Arkadelphia, Ark.) Wind Ensemble (Steven M. Knight, conductor) – 8 March 2019
- California All-State High School Symphonic Band (Frank Tracz, conductor) - 17 February 2019 (2019 CASMEC Conference, Fresno)
- Normal (Ill.) West High School Wind Ensemble (Lisa Preston, conductor) – 14 November 2018
- University of Arizona (Tucson) Wind Ensemble (Chad R. Nicholson, conductor) – 18 October 2018
- Texas A&M (College Station) Wind Symphony (Timothy Rhea, conductor) – 7 October 2018
- University of Nebraska at Omaha University Band (Joshua Kearney, conductor) – 20 April 2018
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Wind Ensemble (Ryan Lovell, conductor) – 20 April 2018
- The Cobb Wind Symphony (Atlanta, Ga.) (Alfred Watkins, conductor) – 23 February 2018 (CBDNA 2018 Southern Conference, Tampa, Fla.)
- West Chester University (Penn.) Concert Band (Elizabeth Mahovsky, conductor) – 15 February 2018
- Ohio State University (Columbus) Wind Symphony (Scott Jones, conductor) – 7 February 2018
- Senzoku Gakuen College of Music Blue Tie Wind Ensemble (Kawasaki, Japan) (Kevin Sedatole, conductor) - 1 December 2017
- Penn State University (University Park) Symphonic Band (Dennis Glocke, conductor) – 9 October 2017
- World Adult Wind Orchestra Project (Schladming, Aus.) (Kevin Sedatole, conductor) – 12 July 2017
- University of Texas (Austin) Symphony Band (Ryan S. Kelly, conductor) – 5 May 2017
- Oklahoma State University (Stillwater) Symphonic Band (Doug Henderson, conductor) – 27 April 2017
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Wind Symphony (Kevin L. Sedatole, conductor) – 29 September 2016 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Alchemy in Silent Spaces (2001)
- all stars are love (2014)
- Anthem (Bryant) (2011)
- The Automatic Earth (2019)
- Axis Mundi
- Bloom (2004)
- Chester Leaps In. See: Parody Suite)
- Coil (2014)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone (2014)
- Concerto for Cello and Orchestral Winds
- Concerto for Piano and Orchestral Winds & Percussion (2012)
- Concerto for Trombone 2016
- Concerto for Wind Ensemble (2010)
- Dusk (2004)
- Ecstatic Fanfare (2012)
- Ecstatic Waters (2008)
- First Light
- Impercynations (see Parody Suite)
- Idyll (2013)
- In This Broad Earth (2015)
- In This Broad Earth (for brass ensemble) (2015/2017)
- Interruption Overture (1998)
- Irrational Joy (2017)
- The Machine Awakes (2012)
- The Marbled Midnight Mile (1999)
- MetaMarch. See: Parody Suite)
- A Million Suns at Midnight
- Miniature Suite (2017)
- Nothing Gold Can Stay (2016)
- Parody Suite
- Pendulum (2018)
- Radiant Joy (2006)
- Rise (2003)
- Solace (2012)
- Stampede (2003)
- Suite Dreams. See: Parody Suite)
- Whirlwind (2013)
- Wings That Work (2003)
- Desjardins, Kelly. "Nothing Gold Can Stay." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 761-767. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Pease, Andy. "Nothing Gold Can Stay." Wind Band Literature, 21 January 2020. Web. Accessed 21 January 2020
- Perusal score.
- Steven Bryant website Accessed 29 September 2016