New Day Rising
This work is the fourth movement of the composer's Symphony No. 1, "New Day Rising".
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III (I requires glass crystals)
F Horn I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Suspended Cymbals (2)
- Tubular Bells
None discovered thus far.
The fourth and final movement of the symphony depicts the rebuilding of shattered lives and restoring civilization. It begins in peaceful sadness, then grows from despair into restored faith and renewed hope. On the Sunday following the great earthquake, a minister gathered his flock for an impromptu church service on a grassy knoll in Golden Gate Park. Beside the minister stood a young man with a battered cornet. His melody drew hundreds of refugees of all denominations and creeds. They repeated in solemn voice "Other refuge I have none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee; leave, oh, leave me not alone, still support and comfort me." After the glorious and majestic finale, the coda, or epilogue, ends quietly with the final unresolved chord signifying the danger that still lurks beneath the earth. It can and will strike again someday.
- Program Note by Steven Reineke
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Johnson Honors Band (New Hampshire) (Andrew Boysen, Jr., conductor) – Summer 2014
- Contra Costa Wind Symphony (Walnut Creek, Calif.) (Duane Carroll, conductor) - 2006
Works for Winds by this Composer
- And the Earth Trembled: See Symphony No. 1, "New Day Rising"
- Casey at the Bat (1996?)
- Celebration Fanfare (2007)
- Celebration Fanfare (arr. Romeyn) (2007/2019)
- Defying Gravity (2004)
- Fate of the Gods (2001)
- Fate of the Gods (arr. Conaway) (2001/2009)
- Goddess of Fire (2006)
- Heaven's Light (2004)
- Heaven's Light (arr. Romeyn) (2004/2018)
- Hopetown Holiday
- In the Temple of Zion (1997)
- Into the Raging River (1999)
- Main Street Celebration
- Merry Christmas, Everyone! (2007)
- Mt Diablo: A Symphonic Portrait
- New Day Rising: See Symphony No. 1, "New Day Rising"
- Pilatus: Mountain of Dragons (2002)
- Pilatus: Mountain of Dragons (arr. Conaway) (2002/2012)
- Portrait of Freedom (2002)
- Rise of the Firebird (2006)
- River of Life (1995)
- Sedona (2000)
- Sedona (arr. Romeyn) (2000/2017)
- Swans Island Sojourn
- Symphony No. 1, "New Day Rising" (2007)
- Towards a New Horizon
- Where Eagles Soar (2003)
- The Witch and the Saint (2005)
- The Witch and the Saint (arr. Conaway) (2004/2010)
- Reineke, S. (2007). Symphony No. 1: New Day Rising [score]. C.L. Barnhouse: Oskaloosa, Iowa.